Help me choose my next bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChiliPepper, Sep 19, 2006.

1. well , I know that it's going to be a bee bass but I need your help with woods,electronics etc.

I'm interested in a 6 string version of the "kneebee". It should be versatile and light. This is my first custom bass so I really need your advice :)

http://www.beebasses.com/html/options.html

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    My favorite combination (or at least the tone I hear in my head) is a swamp ash body, probably with a cocobolo top for looks, and a wenge neck.

3. do you have a bass with such a combination ?

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I do not.

My Ibanez has a wenge and bubinga neck, and I've played 3 different wenge neck/ FB Warwick's. One of these was an Ash Corvette. I loved the combination of growl, clarity, and brightness. Plus, wenge needs absolutely no finish to feel great... at least IMO.

5. Mine has a Maple Neck, Top and Back... Wenge Fingerboard and Swamp Ash body core. My other 2 basses are Ash/Maple. I like the little colour the Wenge adds.

I would recommend a Delano pickup (or 2) and Fred's "Bee Pre". The Delano / Bee Pre combo KILLS!!! clear and articulate with the ability to go from smooth to aggressive.

Mine is an MC7-FE with a series/single coil/parallel 3-way switch

6. What are the tonal differences between the different woods ?

7. what neck woods would you choose ? Maple or Eastern Ash ?

8. sorry I missed the last question....

Maple neck + ash body = my favorite electric instrument base woods....

The maple has some snap to it and the ash seems to have slightly extended highs and lows. Wenge adds a touch high mid aggressiveness to my ears.

As far as the Ash verse Maple neck wood... I've only played one ash necked bass and it was set up for an extremely light touch (which I do not have) so all I could hear playing it acoustically was fret buzz and string pop :meh:

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What kind of sound are you looking for?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021