1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Me choose my next bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Gibson Thunderbird

15 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Fender 50's Single Coil P-bass

13 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Fender Marcus Miller 5

17 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Fender Urge II

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Lakland 55-02

24 vote(s)
    23.3%
  6. Rickenbacker 4003

30 vote(s)
    29.1%
  1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Help Me choose my next bass guys. Just for a little background information. I play in a punk band but mainly play funk and Jazz. Right now I have a 4 string StingRay and a 4 string P-bass, with a Bongo 4 HH on order. What do you think I should add to the arsenal?

2. DINGWALL!!!!

I only say that because I put a downpayment on mine today and I'm excited.

Oh look a poll... I choose... Rick because i have one and love it.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    For your style I'd think the Lackland or a Jazz (like the Miller)

4. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The Thunderbird sounds great in a punk band, but they aren't so great for slapping. I voted T-bird since I think they are sweet in general.

5. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Benavente Vintage Vortex.

6. I didn't know the choice was for you. I thought we were voting for what OUR next bass would be! :oops:

I change my vote from a Ric 4003 to a Marcus Miller. I already have two fenders and I'm leaning towards getting a new Ric 4003 Jetglo. I got a line on one thats in stock for a good price. If it's still there next week, there's a 90% chance that I'll order it. I always leave at least 10% room to change my mind. :D :bassist:

7. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Lakland 55-02, no question about it. Laklands can handle any style with great tone.

FYI
    Adam Clayton (U2) just ordered several Laklands
    Derek Smalls (Spinal Tap), Awesome Burning Earth Bass
    Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath) what more can I say

8. I'd stay away from the Rick if I were you. Unless you find one hanging on a wall, you enjoy boutique-level wait times for a bass that sounds awesome for certain styles and kinda weird for others.

I'd go for the Jazz or the Lakland. I have a 55-02 that I can get a huge range of sounds from. Except the Musicman tone, but you've got one of those, so it's all good.

9. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    More lessons! 3 basses isn't enough? Did you just win the lotto?

10. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Where is the regular Fender Jazz option? With all of your other basses, I think a regular ol' Jazz would really complete the her. I choose Marcus Miller V I guess, but I think the IV would be just as good a choice, if not better.

11. I'm still gonna stay firm on the Rick.... Regardless what lots of peopel think/say, it is actually very versitile.

I found I had no problem dialing in a tone for punk, metal, rock, pop and althoguh I don't play much funk or jazz I think the rick can handle it.

12. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Sounds like you've got the 4 string thing covered.

I really like the Marcus Miller IV, but the V isn't particularly impressive unless you particularly like Fender 5's (I don't, some people do).

So 55-02 would be the obvious choice for me (I have two right now, I'm biased). It's got more great tones than any other non-digital bass and the B is like the voice of god.

13. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The only thing missing from your arsenal is a jazz. I don't agree with all the Rick votes. If you want to play jazz and funk, a Fender jazz would be a real nice compliment to the basses that you already have.