1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me choose pickup/pre fretless with single MM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AndyPanda, Feb 21, 2018.

1. I just slapped this together from odds and ends I had lying about and a body I picked up in the classifieds (thanks!). It really plays well and weighs only 7 lbs without a pickup. Should be right around or under 8 lbs when it's done. I'll probably go plastic speed knobs instead of the heavy brass knobs too - and I'd be just as happy with a bent plate bridge as the BA but I had it in my spare parts drawer.

Anyway ... on to business at hand. I was thinking the Seymour Duncan MM pickup and not sure whether to go passive or a 2 band pre - and wonder how the SD 2 band pre pairs with the SD MM pickup. And since I'll probably have TI flats on this (or will I?) I'm not really sure how much I'd use the 2 band and would probably be just as happy with a passive tone. But the body already has the battery compartment so seems like I might as well put a 2 band in there.

Any suggestions on pickup/pre or anyone using the SD MM pickup paired with the SD 2 eq on a fretless?

Fretless_MM.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have a bass that I occasionally switch the necks on between fretted and fretless.
    ECCC1542-8771-4111-9D42-3D05280B79B4.

The pickup is a Carvin AlNiCo, probably similar in tone to the SD AlNiCo.
    I have it wired in series with coil tap options (neck and bridge coils, no Parallel) and Series has huge mid-range.
    It also has a Duncan 2-band Blackout preamp, which is a simple preamp (the stack knobs). I almost never use it much, just slight tweaks passed detent either way to taste. I got this preamp because of its super-micro size that fits in a Jazz cavity, and that it costs about $60...
    As far as using a Duncan STC 2-band preamp, I would get the Steve Bailey passive voiced model (STC-2PSB) as opposed to their Standard STC-2P model:
    Steve Bailey Active Preamp

The Steve Bailey preamp has a mid-boost contour switch where the standard STC 2P has a mid-cut contour switch....

AndyPanda and Zoobiedood like this.
  3. Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the Steve Bailey voiced pre - been reading up on it now.

Since I only have the single MM pickup in the sweet spot, wouldn't I already have oodles of mids? I'm just thinking the Steve Bailey voiced preamp is really meant for a bass with two pickups. Trying to find any reviews of that preamp.

4. Quick update:
    My pickup was delivered today and I installed it. There was a toggle switch already in the bass body so I went ahead and wired the pickup to the toggle for series/parallel. And then direct to the output jack. Holy Cow, it sounds great and the series setting is a monster. In parallel it sounds very much like my Stingray with the 3 band EQ set flat. I may just leave it passive.

ctmullins likes this.
  5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Which pickup did you get? I’m not sure you specified which one...AlNiCo or Ceramic?

I always like having options. I have installed passive tone controls into all of my basses, along with the preamps.
    The photo I posted above is from before I installed the passive tone by way of a stacked 250k pot for the bridge pickup volume; volume control on top, tone control on bottom.
    It’s in this photo...
    152EB34E-1680-489E-8E49-F83F3D8CBBCF.

6. I went Alnico and that is also what I have in my fretted SR 4H with the 3 band eq. It's hard to do a direct comparison as this one is fretless but passive and parallel sounds very much the same volume and tonality as the SR with the 3 band eq set flat .... and then when I kick it to series it's just got loads of drive.

I've been playing it for a few hours and I really like the tone of it passive so far.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018