1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose pickups for my Thumb

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Squidfingers729, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Squidfingers729

Squidfingers729 Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Lafayette, La
    I'm struggling right now to choose which pickups I want to put in my '93 Thumb Bass. I was all set to get a pair of Dimarzio Model J's and wire them with push/pull for going btw series and parallel. Now I'm questioning them because I'm reading that they sound dark which is definitely not what I want.

I'm looking for a balanced tone with punch, a tight low end, and to be able to cut through when I articulate on my fills. The highs don't need to sizzle but I definitely want some highs there. So basically "clangy" and "boomy/dark" won't work.

Best example I can think of that has some of those qualities is here. I like the tone and balance in the intro and how his fills jump out at you near the end.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaafMpqXXBs&ob=av3e.

Although I won't be tuned so low,I like the tone and low end in this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQxAe88eTc. Note that I'm not necessarily trying to copy his tone exactly.

Also, right now I have an Aguilar OBP-3 installed.

Thanks!

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  3. Squidfingers729

May 22, 2006
    Lafayette, La
    I appreciate the help but I'm actually looking for pickups for my Warwick Thumb bass, not picks for my thumb.

Thx though!

4. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    i am considering an aguilar preamp for my thumb as well. how did it change the sound with the stock pickups still in

5. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    4 string or 5? Love the Joe Bardens in my Thumb - growly, tight, and as bright as I want them to be.

ThumbNT3.

6. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I didn't like the MEC pickups in my Thumb. I had a Corvette equipped with EMG Js and I much preferred the EMG tone.

7. Squidfingers729

May 22, 2006
    Lafayette, La
    It is a 4 string, and I've actually never heard of Joe Barden pickups. I'll definitely have to look them up.

As for my bass, I bought it used from a TB member without a preamp so I can't contrast. However, I have no complaints about the Aguilar at all.

Anyone else?