help me choose replacement pickups for my Fender Geddy : )

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 21, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The stock pickups in my Geddy Jazz are not very powerful. I am used to playing EMG active p-pups in my shortscale SX and I would like to get close to the power of the EMGs.

Here are the characteristics I am looking for:

1. must be passive

2. powerful output

3. even string to string output

4. no hum

Fralins look to be too expensive for me at this point. So DiMarzio, Barts, others... Which meet my criteria?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Unless you want to max both volumes, with that criteria you can effectively rule out true singles, actives, and probably hum-canceling as well. That leaves JHB's.

Output is really only of concern if you're short on amp, otherwise you just turn up volume. Personally I'd drop that one cause you're going to rule out even more pups (all Barts I'm aware for starters) and place restrictions on the tone options.

Going by that criteria plus price, the one you didn't include:

The Fender Noiseless I've got (without ceramic mag) have good output and are balanced. Output on the ceramics is considerably less.

Dimarzio model J's definetly an option.

That's all that come to mind off the cuff.

You can skim through Dimento's J experiment cause HB's and output are always specified. So is hum but my installs are temporary so I get some hum even with HB's and would give much creedence to that.
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    thanks for the reply! Currently I run the geddy stock pups in series and have no hum.

I guess my main concern is that I use the SABDDI as preamp for my Focus SA poweramp and I was thinking if I got more powerful pickups it would increase the gain of the sabddi into the poweramp. The sabddi's output is 0 dvb. One unit i used to use was +4, and my mixer is +22. I just want to make sure I am fully driving my poweramp.

I guess i could run any of those pups you mentioned in series and have no hum as well.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

also remembered the SD's - Hot Stack, 1/4 pndr, whatever their other hot J's are.

Anyway, running the Sans Di is pretty marginal into my QSC. Seems like the newer ones are like +23db and the older ones didn't have enough to drive a power amp but seems there was some fix to them that could be had, replacement part of some kind.

What I usually use dinking around is an Art MP tube pre and that drives the QSC no problem and puts a nice fat tube spin on tone in the process. It's like up to about +48db. Also a useable distortion if desired whereas that digital fuzz distortion the Sans and MXR DI's put out I'll pass on. I've run the Sans into the Art and that into the QSC but I've really only done that for the tone controls when I've used a bass that had no controls that needed tweaking.

I've used high and low output pups into the Sans and if there's any difference in what comes out in terms of output it's of no significance that I've noticed.

I personally would take another route if you like the tone of the pups. You can cause yourself a lot of unnecessary grief with inconsequential gain. Going for higher output pups to increase output to your amp through the Sans is kind of like getting a bigger gas tank to get better fuel efficiency. It's not really the source of the problem.

I'm sure there's stuff around you can put in the chain that just kicks the output up. I'm not into the effects/pedals arena but I'm sure those guys would know of something. I've got a Boss GEB-7 that's +15dB but I don't know if it's a cumulative thing or if you'd need something that would put out what you need on it's own.
  5. Try VILLEX.
    Its passive, powerful output, prewired with a variable mid control. It's an optional upgrade for modulus basses.
    Just search the forum.
  6. nashpipe

Oct 17, 2005
    Hey VeganBass,

I just replaced my active EMG’s in my '72 Jazz with Seymour Duncan Antiquity PU’s. The EMG’s have been in there since '89. The Antiquity's have so much more character. They have a lower output but I have no problem driving my bass pre or my focusrite pre. No hum problems but I never had any with the EMG's either.

I've used Bartonlin's as well and was always really happy with them just wanted to try the seymours.

I looked at the Fralin’s and they are about the same price as the seymours, but what I read about the antiquity's made me choose them. The humbucking version of the Fralin's were much more expensive.