Help me choose the pickguard for my new old Music Man SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mouthmw, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Black

28 vote(s)
    65.1%
  2. White

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. Keep the original

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (specify)

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    So I've finally found one of the old USA SUBs, since I wanted to get one ever since I found out about them, to keep my Ray GAS at bay, and it's on its way to me!
    It's the neatly named "puke wine red/purple" finish, with the original scratchplate that I doubt I'll wanna keep. So far, 2 looks are rather sharp to me - with a black pickguard and with a white one.
    I can't really decide, so help me out :)

Grabbed the pics online for comparison purposes.

Or maybe you'd prefer the look of some other pickguard on it? I was even contemplating dark grey pearl, but I feel it would clash somewhat because of the textured body finish, so I'd better go with a solid color. Same for the white pearl, except I don't like the look of white pearl on any bass ever (well, 99% of the times, always leave room for doubt ;) )

Of course, there's always a chance I'll love the original guard, but.. I really doubt it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. Fondsdale

Fondsdale

Sep 30, 2015
    Oz
    Out of those two I'd pick white but I think a white pearloid guard would really suit this bass. A clear guard would look cool too.

1954bassman and mouthmw like this.
  3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Clear. Then cut out interesting prints and/or solid colours to size and put under the clear guard each time you fancy a change.

matante likes this.
  4. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    If I had to choose between white and black, I'd choose black. But how about a clear guard back painted in gold? I think that would look swank!

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Clear painted gold? :O Wait, how does that work? :D It starts off as a clear guard but you spray it gold or?

6. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I think white or black pearl would look nice. Plain white looks cheap, plain black looks fine.

1954bassman likes this.
  7. wmhill

wmhill Inactive Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    if there as a write in spot, I'd vote for black pearloid......

8. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Yeah, except you paint the back of the pickguard, so its clear on top. Rickenbacker used to do that back in the 60s. It gives the PG a little more depth than if it were painted on the front.

mouthmw likes this.
  9. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I was thinking of that one too! Really wonder how that would look like.

wmhill likes this.
  10. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Perloid white or black to offset the rather flat background of the wine bass. need some POP in that presentation.

11. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    How about aged pearloid?

12. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I like black, but not a triple layer black/white/black, just solid black, or even black aluminum.

Bajo Clarkko likes this.
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Make a new thread and call it "photoshop request:XXX" and say what you're thinking. There are some decent photoshoppers on here so you can try aesthetic mods without actually performing them. I do this all the time, the community is always very helpful with it.

I do also think the black pearloid would look good on wine red.

mouthmw likes this.
  14. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    I have one of those in Graphite Grey (Charcoal) and I ordered mine with the Diamond Plate, aluminum pickguard; I really dig that look. Is that what yours is coming with?
    To go along with the textured look, (Something NOT flashy) I'd say maybe, Matte Black?

mouthmw likes this.
  15. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Black...Gloss...with white and black 3 ply
    Traditional and great

16. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Is it active?

17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Someone will suggest tort before the end of this thread

1954bassman, mouthmw and Bajo Clarkko like this.
  18. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    We need photo's of the original for the uninitiated...those who aren't aware of how hideous the stock pickguards were on these need to be brought up to speed...

upload_2015-11-18_21-16-45.png

mouthmw likes this.
  19. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    ^^This, in white. Had similar color Jazz bass and the antique white pearloid looked great, imho.

mouthmw likes this.
  20. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    mouthmw likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021