Help me choose the pickguard for my new old Music Man SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mouthmw, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Black

28 vote(s)
    65.1%
  2. White

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. Keep the original

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (specify)

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. I would go with black. More important than the color, I would do whatever it would take to get a Stingray 5 style pickguard for it:
    http://hdmuse.com/StingRay5-1.jpg

The Stingray 5 pickguards are so much better than that awful egg+metal banana thing that the Stingray 4 basses have.

2. I think that the egg and banana thing is what makes a Stingray aesthetically. Never cared for the 5-string pick guard - except for the Stingray 5 Classic, of course.

3. Fair enough :)

4. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Tort...:hyper::bassist::smug:

5. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I voted other...

I'd go with a W/B/W pickguard.

I am building a 4HH ray clone that is a dark cherry metallic, and that is what i chose and it is going to look great!

Good Luck!

mouthmw likes this.
  6. Smoked chrome

7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Yes, active. IMO a ray needs to be active, I was especially drawn to the old 2 eq preamp. The only bass that I'd like to be active and my first active bass too.

Lots of interesting ideas guys! :D This feels even harder to choose now though haha, but keep em coming!

spaz21387 likes this.
  8. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Different strokes and all :) I personally find the 5 string version guard to be, well, aesthetically unpleasing. I grew fond of the egg look on rays, and it looks really cool to me. :)

murphy likes this.
  9. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    Congrats- we'll be looking forward to pics on NBD. I have a friend who had one and sold it. (Teal Blue)
    He regretted it for years, he recently had a chance to buy it back, which he did. Here is the funny part: He manages a Guitar Center, and can have pretty much anything he wants. He especially wanted his old one back, because he likes the tone of the old SUBS, as the bodies are made of Poplar, which sounds different than Ash.
    I'll never sell mine.

10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Thanks! Will certainly do! :)
    Those are really great basses and the closest thing to a classic ray which is expensive as all hell.
    Which color do you have? Have you switched out the guard?

11. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    I have the Graphite Grey one, with the active electronics. I ordered it with the aluminum Diamond Plate pickguard. Some people hate it, but I like it, especially with the grey. There are a lot of colors that would good with the Wine Red like yours.

mouthmw likes this.
  12. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I think some were passive if i remember right. I have heard good things about the old usa subs.

13. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I vote None More Black.

spaz21387 and mouthmw like this.
  14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Yes, there are passive SUBs as well, some say they sound great, others feel that they miss the preamp to really hit that ray tone. Old usa subs are indeed great, if you don't mind the finish and the slab body ;)

15. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    That's a great idea.

16. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Well i like the slab body on my stingray classic. So i dont think the body would be and issue. The bed liner like finish might bother me though

mouthmw likes this.
  17. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    Black Red Black

18. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Always been a sucker for black on wine red.
    20151005_180619.jpg
    My old MIM Jazz Bass

6716_Fender_American_Deluxe_Jazz_Rose_Wood_Transparent_Wine_Red_US11279525_1.jpg
    The American Deluxe Jazz Bass I still GAS for. :drool

19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I personally am not a big fan of the finish either, which is why I did this to mine

IMAG0012_zpse705e71d.jpg

spaz21387, murphy, mouthmw and 2 others like this.
  20. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    What finish was it originally?
    Nice job!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021