Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me choose the right amp and cab.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jimbass55, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Howdy,

I am new to talkbass so forgive me if I say something stupid. I have recently ordered the K&K
    rockabilly pickup and it is now time for a new amp and cab. I would like some recomendations on what everyone likes and dislikes. I am playing 50's style rock, old country, and jump blues,at mostly small venues. I will probably end up gettin a small rig and a BIG RIG so let me know what you think. I would kinda like to get one amp head and then maybe different cab configurations. I am seriously considering the Clarus, but I think ( and Bob seems to think) that it might not be ballsy enough to totally cover all the basis. HELP.................:D

2. Flatbass11

Flatbass11 Supporting Member

May 29, 2001
    Medford, MA
    Sounds like you and me are looking for the same answers.

You say you talked to Bob Gollihur about this and he thinks the Clarus may not cut it doing rockabilly?
    Maybe I should give him a call.

3. Large rig......You are right on track with the pickup you have selected. (I assume you mean the bass max).

The next necessary device is an eq. A stomp-box 7 band works perfect. Dialing out most of the midrange will able you to get as loud as you need with little to no feedback.

Now for the amp...What works best for me is a plain ole pa head. I own Ashleys, Crests, Peaveys, and Crown. They all sound better than those "bass" amps I have played. (I have not played a Claras nor Woods)

Though not necessary, at some point you will want some kind of pre-amp for more volume. A really small mixing board works great and gives you extra inputs for other picups or instruments.

I can't say much about cabs. As long as the speakers don't break up, you can get a good sound out of about anything.

Thats what I do...

small rig...can't help ya much here. I usually play into a mic to the mains.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    As much as I love my Clarus, if you are pairing it with an 8 ohm speaker, its power output is approx. 120w. While the newer Clarus amps do have more headroom than the original, it still isn't a whole lot of watts if your volume needs are great. Its 300w rating is at 2 ohms, and the 4 ohm rating is 200w.

Of course, this depends on the flavor of rockabilly you are playing -- if it's the more traditional "roots rock" style, performed at reasonable volume levels, depending on the cabinet you have and its efficiency, the 120 or 200w of the Clarus may be perfectly fine. Maybe my view of rockabilly requirements has been skewed by talking to too many psychobilly guys ;) -- so many are playing at very high volumes and competing with a guitarist with a Fender Twin and an extremely enthusiastic drummer -- which means more watts and higher volumes for the bass player.

So yes, maybe the Clarus would do the job, but then again, maybe not. The conclusion will depend on your needs. If you want to chat, feel free to give me a holler at 609-624-1470 (East coast).

5. I didn't know you guys played in Db:D

6. Yea that sounded pretty stupid after I read it. :rolleyes:

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you want a small amp that will do the job, I'd mention the GK MB200 (or whatever the model number is now). Played through one excusively for about 15 years.

8. A good small combo for small clubs/pubs is the SWR Workingmans 12,not too expensive,nice features and good tone for DB.Got good reviews in Bassplayer shootout.Other big favourite is of course the AI Contra,but more bucks....ya pays ya money.....
    Big rigs i have never found a need for.Unless you are playing stadium gigs,you can direct out of a small amp into the p.a.and easily fill a good size hall.

9. I appreciate all of your help. I just got my pickup tonight and I plan to play through many amps this weekend. I am thinking on getting 4x10's or 2x10's(probably both eventually we'll see) and some kinda
    head. I'm still up in the air about which head. How about wattage? and ohms? I never really have understood all that crap, and when you ask most guys selling the amps they don't know either(trust me I worked at Mars for a little while). Are you supposed to try to match the watts of the head to the cab or can it be more or less?