help me choose the right amp...please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zycro, Jul 28, 2004.

1. zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    Okay I am just starting out as a bass player, though i have been playing living room jams with my guitar for over 10 years.

I need to buy a bass amp as I joined a Rock band and we hope to start practicing soon. With future gigs in mind i need to pick an amp that is SMALL but POWERFUL. I am thinking of the SWR Workingman's 10. That amp is 80 watts; is that enough for medium sized venue?

I ride a vespa so i need to strap the amp onto my heavyduty backpack w/o dislocating my shoulders. Okay i know your laughing now. Let it all out. Laughter is good for us.

Anyway any recommendations?

:bassist: :help: :D
  2. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I feel you man, I play double bass and get around on a bike. I either have to borrow a friends car, hitch a ride, or walk. In an area where we get 300 inches of snow a year too. :meh:

But I would recomend getting the at least the 12" or maybe the 2x10" if you can handle it. 15.5"W x 22.25"H x 15.25"D for the 12". You can add an extention speaker to the 10" as well, perhaps you can get one of you band mates to load an extention cab or a bigger amp if you get one. The 10" might work if you dont mind relying on the PA. Also, you didn't mention what kind of music you're playing. Jazz? the 10" is fine. Punk rock? probabally not.

Travis Burleson
  3. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    xm200 or xm200T
    1x15 or 2x10 combo
    200 watts.
    around 400 american.
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Vespa... amp... er. uh. get an acoustic bass... and uh. put the head stock on a table. or something. :p
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had a workingman 10, its good, and fairly powerful, but may not be powerful enough, alone, with drums or loud guitar. I later ran an additional wt110 extention cab and it was pretty good with drums (then 210 output)

WM12 is more powerful and better sounding than the 10 also allows for additional speakers when you want to expand your sound/volume.

GET an amp you can leave at the "jam" house... also try yorkville xm50 or 100.
  6. zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    Well the thing is i cant just leave it at the jam house w/o moving it. often we will be playing live gigs and it basically has to be very portable w/o sacrificing power. a tough order to fill i know.

To clarify we play classic rock cover tunes.

I am considering the G.K. MB150 but i read reviews that circuits over heat or something like that. I know that G.K. is a trustworthy name but i read some reviews where they said that this particular amp had some reliability issues.
    I love the fact that its light with 100watts though.

Any other reccomendations?
  7. BucketButt

Sep 10, 2003
    Medina, TN USA
    How about an Ampeg Portabass rig? Considering how you plan on transporting it, I'd recommend getting the 250-watt head and either the 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet. Personally I prefer the 2x12 cab, but it might be a little too heavy, and definitely too bulky for backpacking on a Vespa.
  8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    It's not quite a guitar amp where 60watts is enough, in order to stand out you gotta aim for something a bit more powerful.
  9. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Bigwig's got it!

Yorkville I say, Yorkville!

And you can get an extension cab later if you want. Mmhmm.
  10. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Okay so I just noticed the back-strapping part. Both the Yorkville combos are about 58 pounds. I dont know if that's reasonable or not.
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I think you are really going to have a difficult time being heard with a Workingman's 10. In fact, no matter what 1x10 you get, you will probably be hard to hear. Is there any way you can have a rack put on the back of your scooter and get a combo with a 12" speaker? Preferably something with 150W or more.