1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose which bass to upgrade.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HalfDayClosing, Feb 29, 2008.

1. I have two Ibanez basses, a gsr 200 and a sr 496 and a Squire VM fretless jazz. I never play the gsr 200 with my band because the pickups have gone to...they dont sound good, but have it set up perfectly(besides electronics) so i play it around the house all the time. I use the Squire more than the sr200 and mostly use the sr496, though not completely satisfied with any of the tones. I'm not sure which i should upgrade, any opinions?

New pickups for sr496 and make it better

New pickups for the Jazz

or replace the bridge pickup on the gsr200 with a mmstyle? ( i already have bassline p laying around)

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    If you like the way the gsr200 plays and you already have a replacement P pickup for it, why not just do that? It's free. It's easy. What's not to like?

I used to have a gsr200. I agree it plays really nice and the pickups are really crap - especially that single j bridge thing. I never used that pickup.

One thing to beware of - a mm style pickup really deserves to be preamped IMHO. Now you're talking about $100 for the mm style pickup and another $100 for the preamp - more or less. I would think long and hard about putting $200 worth of parts into that bass - not to mention the effort to rout out the cavity for the mm pickup.