1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose which to keep! (Some pics added)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBASS930, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Lakland 4-94

135 vote(s)
    77.6%
  2. Fender Aerodyne Jazz

64 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Yamaha BB-414

34 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Schecter C-4

16 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Schecter CV-4

10 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Ampeg AMB1 (stock)

30 vote(s)
    17.2%
  7. Ampeg AMB1 (prototype)

48 vote(s)
    27.6%
  8. Yamaha RBX-774

9 vote(s)
    5.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    With the recent happy news that my wife is pregnant, and the fact that I don't play out at all that much anymore, I (my wife) has decided to sell all but two of my basses. I love and play them all at home, but maybe having this many when not gigging and a baby on the way is not the smartest thing. The problem I am having is which to get rid of. Most of these were acquired recently, and I really do enjoy them all which makes it harder to decide. Most of the basses are nothing special collector-wise, but they all have served some sort of purpose for me. A couple of the pics are not of my actual basses, but they look exactly the same and will give you an idea.

Lakland 4-94:
    Lakland.
    I love this bass dearly. Very comfortable, sounds and looks amazing. But it may have too many sounds available to me (meaning lacks the simplicity I am used too) and it is the most expensive bass in my collection. Not that it is a bad thing, but I guess my needed tonal range is a lot narrower than what this bass offers.

Fender Aerodyne Jazz:
    Aero.
    I have never really been a big Fender fan, but this one just does it for me. Simple, light, gets the tone I like and then some.

Yamaha BB-414:
    BB414.
    As with the Fender, this one is another that I love to play. The sound is just there for me. I did upgrade the bass with a new bridge, tuners, hipshot, and a few other minor things.

Schecter C-4:
    C4.
    This bass I probably gigged the most with over the last two years. Feels good in the hands, light, fantastic neck, and that deep smooth tone that I love. Love the look of it too. Probably get the most compliments from this bass.

Schecter CV-4:
    CV4.
    This is an older model before they started putting the pick guard on them. I recently acquired this one, so I have not had that much time into it. Although it does remind me a lot of the C-4, but a little bright sounding, but very thick.

Ampeg AMB1 (Stock):
    AMB1Stock.
    I just love playing this bass. I have found that short scales are a blast to play. This is the wood version and is all original. It’s a little tougher to get the sound I want, and it requires a lot of eq’ng, but I always tend to pick this one up when I am at home just noodling around.

Ampeg AMB1 (Prototype):
    AMB1Proto.
    This bass is similar to the above Ampeg, but it is a prototype with active electronics rather than passive. Gets a bit louder and achieves a bit more bite or growl. Again, a blast to play.

Yamaha RBX-774:
    RBX774.
    This bass is just unreal. A little different feeling since it is a 35” scale 4-string, but the lows are so tight and clear. I generally don’t use this one often since I am more comfortable with 34” scales, but I just love the lows. This I might keep just for the fact that there is a slight crack in the back of the neck, and it probably wouldn’t be worth selling.

I do also have an acoustic bass, a stripped down project bass, and a couple of guitars that I am keeping. I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this dilemma. I really do love all of these basses for different reasons and can’t decide which to keep and which to sell. I guess my heart is too attached to some of them. Let me know your thoughts! What would you do? And no, divorce is NOT an option :)

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I need pics of each bass to decide. :p

3. My $.02

Keep the Lakland (Having too many options doesn't need to be a bad thing)

and your favorite Ampeg (you said you gravitate towards this one and maybe just for the cool factor of it!):cool:

Congrats on the baby!!!:hyper:

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I voted for the Lakland and the Yamaha BB-414

5. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I'm with Fourstringdrums; the 4-94 and the 414...even beyond their numerological resemblence, you'd have one special passive and one great active at your disposal.

6. What he said. On all counts. I voted for the prototype ampeg, but that's just me. Keep the one you like best.

Those two basses would provide a very versatile rig when you do start playing out again, and they probably aren't going down in value if you end up having to sell them down the road. The yamahas will keep dropping. The Schecters will keep dropping and faster.

If you can talk her into a third, keep the Fender.

7. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    although I don't need another bass you could lemme play the aerodyne jazz for you... get a second opinion on the fact that you really don't need it and I can keep it for you. :D

The lakland (cuz you can get a lot of sounds out of it... might help as you progress in playing ability as time goes on)

The yamaha (cuz you've put some work into it and it's just a great bass)

Keep the rbx.... tell her it's for the baby when he/she starts playing. :bassist:

edit: Now I'm kinda between the yamaha and the ampeg (passive) since you enjoy playing it so much. Try to keep two more basses... going from all that to just two isn't fair. Can she get rid of some clothes or shoes or somethin to make it fair? :)

8. if it's original, do NOT sell the Ampegs.Laklands are useful so keep that as well.i'm sure your wife can squeeze for three.

9. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I have to say that my wife has been great about this. She would probably let me keep them all if I really wanted to. Its a guilt thing for me. Plus blaming my wife makes me feel better about the possible decision :D

10. get rid of the lakland (give it to me)

11. The Lakland and either Ampeg. All of those other basses... bleh.

12. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Get rid of the Lakland. Why? You'll get the most out of it, and it sounds like you really don't need it.

Keep the Fender, with the added baby stress, you'll love the light weight.

Keep the Schechtererer you like.

Keep one Ampeg. Sell the rest.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Keep the Fender because having a P/J around just makes lots of sence. Keep the Schecter C4 as it's your gigging bass. If you start playing out agian, it will be good to have your "old favorite" at your disposal.

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    That Lakland is quite possibly the best looking bass I've ever seen. I'm not sure I could get rid of a thing of beauty like that, but it sounds like you don't really like it and would certainly fetch some decent scratch.

15. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    the Lakland and the Ampeg proto. That should help the kid go to college later :)

...To keep! I would keep the best. Ok, not financial sense, but for keeping up appearances ;)

16. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'd keep the prototype Ampeg, besause it's the least easy to replace if you later decide it was a mistake to sell, and the one you find yourself playing the most, which is the Schecter C-4.

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    lakland and either the yamaha bb or the fender aerodyne.

18. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    That'd be a fairly easy choice for me. The Ampeg proto, for sure, for the several reasons already given by others. And I would easily keep the Fender Aerodyne, I had one in the past and I've always regretted getting rid of it.

For me, the rest would be gone in a heartbeat ..... :cool:

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, that Lakland is to die for, looks-wise. As for all the knobs: forget the complexity, just set 'em and forget 'em! That's what I do with my Fender RB5... I just go with one tone 99% of the time.

Off topic: nice avatar! I bought a 360 just to play that game.

20. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    +1