Help me choose!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassmouse3, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Bassmouse3

Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    Okay guys, I'm a young, quite experienced luthier, but when it comes to amps, I'm a complete newbie, I've always used other peoples amps, and now I'm gonna buy one myself, and I'd really appreciate your help... I'm looking at two great offers;
    1) A trace elliot combo amp (280 watts) GP7 SM Bass preamp 300 with a 15" speaker.

2) A HUGE rig consisting of a Basslab tube preamp running a sherwood 500 watts poweramp, both mounted in a flightcase with wheels AND 2 seperate 1x12 speaker cabs AND a 18" speaker cab.

(Henrik Thomsen, the Basslab guy is a VERY well respected amp tech and builder here in denmark...)

Both can be had for the mere sum of:.......600 $!!!
    (Both used, but in excellent condition.)
    I hear you all cry "The rig", but my considerations also involve portability... While I realize that lots of power is always nice, couldn't it be overkill with the rig? I usually play in pop/rock/cover outfits, and we usually don't play in places larger than the average bar/resteaurant.
    What do you guys think of the trace? worth it?
    I'm really having some trouble here, I've really heard some good things about tubes in general...
    Anyways, thanks alot for any help!

Best regards, Bassmouse3
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Please see this thread regarding TE combos. You'll see that not everyone likes them.
  3. Thomas P

Thomas P Guest

Dec 2, 2001
    a 18" and 2 12" is a very unusual combination and propobly have to much bass and middletone.

And I don't think that the Basslab cabinet are very good. I have had a 2x12" for 3 years now.