1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help me choose!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cricketfever32, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Ok, my birthday is coming up and i figured I'd get myself something nice (about 500 dollars should cover me) and I got stuck in a little pickle. Seems that i can get 2 sx basses, a fretless and a fretted, which will keep me gas free for a while, but will render me gigless, or an sx and a cheap amp from a local music store called HYWAY music, where 100 watt amps are ridiculously cheap, which is plenty for small gigs and such, so what should i do...

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I take it you have nothing right now? I would suggest getting a bass and amp. How else will you ever get to jam with someone if you don't have an amp?

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Get the amp and the combo, you don't wanna end up like Jason Newsted and have a really heavy downstroke now, do you? :p

4. i have a small 30 watt bass amp...but my dad did a number on my bass rendering it unusable

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    A good amp is so important that I'd say you'd be well off to go ahead and get one SX, then get the best possible amp you can find with the remainder of the money. No bass sounds good through a bad amp, and you will practice more and enjoy your playing more if you sound good while you are doing it!

6. very true, i guess my decision is made i guess, thanks for all your help guys

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Get the SX. Spend a little time or a couple of bucks to get it set up properly, then scour the used market for the best amp you can afford with what's left.

You could get a decent older used Peavey combo, that'll be built like a tank, and sound reasonably good, in the $200 range.

That would be well within your budget, and you might even have a few bucks left over.