1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me choose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Evil Undead, May 21, 2012.

1. Buy the Markbass combo and pair it with existing 2x10.

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Sell the MB 2x10 and buy the used GK MB210 combo & cab

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. As above and sell the GK 1x15 on

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buy the new GK MB212.

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I have three choices and not sure which to do.

I have been offered a Markbass 2x10 combo for £620 to go with the Markbass 2x10 cab I already own.

Or, I can sell the Markbass 2x10 cab for £300, and buy an almost new GK MB210 combo with the matching 1x15 for £520.

Or, I could buy a new GK MB212 combo for £600.

Financially, I guess the used GK deal is a no brainer, but I'm still not sure what to go for. The Markbass combo has the tiltback feature which is great, but I could get a stand for either of the GK combos to raise it and tilt it back, and if I discovered I didn't need the 1x15 I could sell that off and make a few quid back.

I'll be playing a Fender MIA Standard Precision through this so let me know what would sound best tone-wise.

Thoughts?

2. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Eeeeee it's quiet in here tonight!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The obvious, (to me) choice is to get the MB combo, and pair it with your MB 210 cab. Those amps are the shiz, and with a matched ext cab, you'd have a portable powerhouse, complete with nice bass tone.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I don't buy that there's a 1x15 that 'matches' a 2x10. It may have similar styling and shape but unless they've gone to great efforts (and I don't believe they have) those speakers won't 'match'

On the other hand, having a Markbass 2x10 that in fact DOES match a 210 combo means you're much more likely to have a happy ending.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

2x210 would be a mighty combination. Go that way.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Another vote for the (2) 210's. Markbass is nice stuff and it sounds great.

7. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    That.

8. jungleheat

jungleheat Inactive

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    You're leaving a piece out of the equation (and I'm wondering why no one else asked about it already, but people are kind of lazy with attention to detail around here). What are you running through the MB cab now? You must have some kind of head, right? If we know what that is, people can make better (ie actually useful) recommendations.

The other thing to think about is is there anything about Markbass vs GK (or another brand) that to you it's worth paying that much extra for? And why are you changing from what you have now? Is there something you're not getting out of your current rig, or is it just GAS?

Answer those questions (to yourself and to us) and you will end up with a much better course of action than just asking a vague question with very little background info.

9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm currently using an Ibanez Promethean head.

I have a few reasons for wanting to change my current rig.

- it looks untidy, nothing matches
    - I want something light and loud
    - I want it to sound good with a fender
    - I'm hoping, above all else, to sell some of my current gear and buy another rig and have cash left over to put towards a car.

10. The four tens will probably have the most output, and modularity is always a plus. Definitely against the 1x15 and 2x10 setup, unless you can thoroughly test them together and verify they are compatible. The 2x12 is not a bad choice, but for 20 pounds I would rather have four tens.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Option #1.

12. Are the MB combo and 2x10 a matched set as far as speakers and box tuning goes?

Will you stack them vertically?

If either of the answers is no, you're looking at a less than fine fender tone.

You have left out pieces of the rig puzzle. As it stands you are looking to put money in, not take money out. Sell all but the Promethium head? Buy a super Barefaced. P sings, all is well.

13. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    They would be matched as far as make and driver size. What does box tuning mean?

No.

Dammit.

I don't understand what you mean by leaving out pieces of the rig puzzle...

14. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    Combos are rather limiting, with a separate head you can use any cab in any orientation.

That said, I think option 1 is best. Will match nicely, but will look awkward stacked vertically, which is how you should use them to get the best dispersion without horizontal comb filtering.

I would rather get a separate head and cab, worth the extra money IMHO, especially if you can find what you want second hand.

15. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Limiting, or simple? Or both?

I'm going for simple. Never been a knob twiddler :D

16. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    If you are happy with the 210 - the 210 combo should complement it.

You'd be best off to try any item if used, or get a decent return option for new gear.

I'd be skeptical of the 115 and 210 being ideal, especially if they're not the same model type with similar responsivity - or totally different like a 15/6 fearful (but that needs a crossover).

the 210 + 210 combo has modularity which may be a boon.

The GK 212 is supposed to be excellent.

Good luck. You have several excellent options.:hyper:

17. You don't say what else is to be sold, what you need from your rig, you're looking to buy more gear but come out with cash, why not spit it all out as advised already! What is really wrong with the head? I don't see that it can be so valuable ( yet ugly) that you can come out substantially ahead trading down to the combo amp.

Box tuning is volume and port size and length. Try before you buy. Chances are they sound good together. But making a tidy 4x10 out of them gives you a beaming rig which sounds markedly different depending where you stand.

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    From Evil Undead's past posting history, I'm pretty sure she's not looking to rebuild her rig into a pristine hifi vertically aligned rig. I'm usually pretty happy to suggest people try vertically aligned drivers, but from what I get, she's trying to put together a club/pub rig that's traditional, light and fairly loud. While the standard 4x10 does have some issues with dispersion/beaming/phase in the room, I'm fairly sure that it won't be a deal breaker for her setup.

19. Matching colur schemes is a red herring, a bass head sits on a different brand cab, doesn't matter one little bit to me.

Light and loud = neo

Sound good with fender = hifi with flexible eq.

Car money surplus has to be achieved huh? What can you get for the Prometheus?

Cheap is not more high priced neo. Cheap is used heavy stuff but that's not light. Can you lump a non neo 2x10 ok? How about a 30lb older amp?

"Cut the suit to suit the cloth"

20. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I’ve heard that the GK 212 is meant to be great, but I’ve heard from a few people that the speakers blow after a few gigs. Or maybe that was the 210?

Ok. I’m selling all of my gear to fund a new bass and rig. I want simple and good sounding, light weight, and loud enough to play gigs in small/medium clubs and bars with my classic rock/punk covers band.

The items I’m selling are:
    Warwick bass
    Ibanez Bass
    Promethean Head (not valuable and nothing wrong with it but I’m wanting to go combo)
    Purple Chili cab
    Ashdown practice amp
    Multi-effects unit
    Maybe Markbass 210 cab.

Total that I’ll get for that little lot is just under £1800.

I’ve got a Fender Precision on layaway, that’s £900.
    So if I sell all that stuff, buy the Fender, and spend £600 on an amp, I’ve got £100 for a DI box, and £200 towards a car. Goal achieved.
    Thank you  I’m glad you see what I’m up to :)