1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Me Compare Lakland 55-01 and 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LilRay, Apr 2, 2009.

1. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    I know these one VS another threads are done to death, however I'd like to try and see a general comparison between the 55-01 and 55-02. Traveling to a decent music store is an all day deal for me (100+ miles each way), and finding one that would stock both basses is another deal entirely.

My main question I guess is other than price point, what does one lose with the 01 as to the 02? Is there anybody out in TB land that actually prefers the 01 rather than the 02 for a reason other than price?

I'd like to try a fiver as I've never played one before. Been playing close to 20 years now but never tried five strings yet.

Thanks in advance,
    God Bless, Ray

2. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    To my knowledge, the difference is in electronics/pickups...the 55-01 comes with the Bartolini MK-1's, the 55-02 with Lākland's own pickups. I've only been playing for two years or so, and I can safely say that my 44-01 is THE best bass I have ever played (then again, I'm just a poor 17 year old unable to afford higher-end instruments like say, Pedullas or Rickenbackers :p). I got it about a month ago and gig on it everywhere I go. Sad to say that I have never tried the 02's, so I can't give my feedback on those. But before I purchased the 44-01, I did my research here on TB and as far as I know, the difference is in sound and what YOU prefer. Don't let the price mislead you...whichever of the two you get totally depends on what kind of music you want from it.

3. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No problem. I should mention that I've owned both myself. As you might expect, they play pretty much the same. Tonally, the 55-01 a has got more of a brash, almost Jazz Bass kinda thing going on, and sounds great with a preamp upgrade. The 55-02 is a bit smoother (with Barts) or more "vintage" (with the Lakland pickups), and more flexible, but doesn't have quite the same personality (IMHO).

Mike

5. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    In general, I tend to shy a bit from basses that have the J/MM pickup package like the 55-02. Sometimes it's hard to get a good balance between those pickups. The MM tends to overpower the J. That's just my experience.

People talk about the great tonal variety possible with the 55-02, which is true, but if you're a "set it and forget it" kind of player (as I tend to be), you may be more interested in finding one or two tones that you like on a bass rather than having tons of tones available and never needing or using most of them.

What I like about the 55-01 is that Bartolini now has their product line set up to where it's very easy to upgrade the pickups and preamp to USA Bart components if you wanted.

I haven't done the math - maybe upgrading the electronics on the 55-01 is about the same money as buying a 55-02. I need to check the numbers on that.

If you decide one way or another, it sure is nice to try before you buy if possible. I have tried Skylines that I wish I could have bought on the spot and also tried Skylines that I was so glad I was just casually checking out in a store and hadn't bought sight unseen.

6. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    You're correct on the math.

The cost is roughly the same.

I've had a 5501 (stock) a 5501 (upgraded- LH3 + US Barts) and a 5502 (LH3 + Lakland) and I would rather have an upgraded 5501.

See here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404476

7. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Supertanker, Thanks a bunch for the link. I'd like to hear some sound clips of a stock vs modded version to hear the difference. They might be in your thread but I haven't read but the first couple of pages. To be continued tomorrow.

Thanks Again,
    God Bless, Ray