1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me complete Ric high gain bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ratae, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Ratae

Ratae Banned

Nov 14, 2011
    Bath, UK
    DECCDE31-F827-4D52-9C36-B1951909A0BB. B9155C15-5B3A-4942-956B-4D86C2B96DCA. This is the guy

This however is the back, I put the ground tab on there because I know there should be one.

Anybody explain in language that someone from the UK can understand, what I gotta do to make this a usable pickup. I got 10.6k across those two black wires, and when I connect to a guitar lead the pick up is plenty loud when I tap the poles

Clark Dark likes this.
  2. Plugging in politics to a post won't get you very far.

sissy kathy likes this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    @bobdabilder is dead right.

That aside, you need to determine whether the top or bottom of the pickup is north, use a magnetic compass, lay the pickup on its side and approach the top of the pickup with a compass. If the compass needle points towards the pickup, the top is the south pole; conversely if the needle points away from the pickup the top is the north pole. If the needle points elsewhere the compass isn't close enough.

Assuming the bottom is north AND that the pickup is wound clockwise when viewed from the bottom, solder a black wire about a foot long to the short lead, a white wire goes to the longer lead. Each wire then gets a short piece or shrink wrap slid over the joint and shrunk in place. I am paranoid about heat around pickup windings and would use a cold heat pen for those two wires.

For the ground, remove that tab, and solder either a braided wire or a green wire to the tab and replace back on the pickup. I have to question the utility of a ground wire here; while grounding it won't hurt anything, it won't help either. The screw makes contact with at most one pole piece, which is already embedded in an insulator. The bobbin appears to be plastic, Bakelite, or something similar, in essence, you are attempting to ground an insulator and magnet.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Ratae likes this.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Fixed it.

5. Ratae

Ratae Banned

Nov 14, 2011
    Bath, UK
    Assumptions rarely fix anything..

6. Ratae

Ratae Banned

Nov 14, 2011
    Bath, UK
    Nice one SK, your efforts are appreciated mo chairde

7. Ratae

Ratae Banned

Nov 14, 2011
    Bath, UK
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I’m leaving this open so you can get some guidance, but be aware we don’t allow political cracks of any type here at TB. And if you’re no longer in Somerset, you may want to update your profile.