1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me cop these changes?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sleeplessknight, Jun 1, 2014.

1. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    All, I'm having the brain-fart of all brain-farts on this one today. I've got this Ennio Morricone-type tune I'm trying to transcribe, and while I can 'make the changes' (it's just G C and D) I'm having a heck of a time trying to notate them. Is it 4/4 with measures of 2? Straight 4/4? 6/4? Any help would be most appreciated, and I'll gladly give you Imaginary Internet Points if you can help me figure out a sane way to notate this :)

Note: the Forum software won't let me upload the file with a '.m4a' extension (the native file format), so you'll have to rename it from the given '.mp3'

Attached Files:

2. I'd probably use 6/4. Others might use 4/4 and 2/4 recurring. The only reason I'd veer towards 6 is because it saves space and it's a constantly recurring cycle. Other tunes might have 4/4 and 2/4 then a bar of 4/4 then a bar of 4/4 and a bar of 3/4. In those cases I might write the smaller successions just to outline that process. The intended feel can be less obvious if written as 6/4, 4/4 7/4 etc.

But there are a whole bunch of ways to write stuff like this (just check out Modern Rhythmic Notation by Gardner Read for a real hoot). You can even use 4+2/4 if you feel like it.

sleeplessknight likes this.
  3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I would also write it as 6/4.

sleeplessknight likes this.