1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me cop this tone (80s Fender MIJ P Bass into ?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rehynn, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Rehynn

Rehynn

Jun 16, 2020
    Hi all,

This is my first post/thread on TB! This site has been a great resource and I hope to be able to contribute in the future. But for now, I need your help with this video:

(If embedding doesn't work properly, the playing starts at 7:44.)

How do you get this kind of punch and tightness out of a P bass? This guy plays relatively softly and with his fingers, and the notes just pop like crazy. I know it's probably the combination of construction, string choice, PU, and amp, but the tone is so distinct that I'm thinking there must be some element that does most of the heavy lifting.

I'm a P bass devotee and love the sound I get from my Duncan SPB-1-loaded 2015 MIM P into an Ampeg PF500, but I could use a second P as a more aggressive alternative.

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. Rehynn

Rehynn

Jun 16, 2020
    Bump?

3. Ah, the never-ending quest for that elusive perfect bass tone. If you ever solve it, please let us all know!

4. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Maybe you could... record a dinky amp through a crappy videocamera mic?

gebass6 likes this.
  5. Hachimitsu

Hachimitsu

Jun 6, 2019
    New Zealand
    New strings. Compression from small built-in mic + YT upload

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021