Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me Cure My Gas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    So a friend's dad is selling some basses right now, and I was wanting soime advice on them.
    He's selling a Warwick Corvette FNA JAzzman 5er for £600, but would it suit me, and that is alot of money (might have to strech to afford it). I tend to play alot of stuff, but more jazz stuff and funk stuff. I've heard mixed reviews about warwicks and corvettes in particular. I don't wanna spend all my mo-honey on a bass that is too heavy/has neckdive/has a wierd neck.
    He's also selling an american Fender Precision Lite for £300 (more affordable) in a sexy white finish. I like the looks of it, and it seems affordable, but it wouldn't do anything different from my other bass (a yamaha bb604).
    My dilemma is what to do. I'm selling my first bass (a cheapy precision copy) and I would like to get a nicer bass to replace it. I'm juts wondering whether or not to go fretless, or to go to a or 6 string or just to spend the money on an envelope filet and a looper. Any suggestions?

2. I say spend some time with the warwick. If you really like it go for it. If not, I would get the looper since the other bass is very similar to what you already have. That being said.... I have 6 instruments already granted most are guitars (Only 2 basses) but if $$$ is an issue I wouldn't spend it unless you couldn't live without that warwick.

3. Or any effect... filter etc. I didn't mean to sounds like "GET THE LOOPER"

:bag:

4. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    But if I where to get a new bass, does anyone have any idea where I should go next? 5 string? 6 string? fretless? I need some help, cause god help me, I'm gonna get a new bass soon. ;)

5. If you have a fretted that you like, you might want to go fretless. Have you played a fretless before to make sure you are interested in it? If you are selling your only fretted bass, I would get another fretted one first. Fretless not for everyone. As far as the # of strings... what are you playing now?

6. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Right now, I'm on a yamaha bb604, and I really like it. I play a wide variety of music, so I could justify getting a fretless for jazz/other stuff. I may give it a try and go to les shops this weekend to take a look at the fretless stock. I'm not sure about where to go, but a fretless sounds like a good idea, but I do also like the idea of a 5er/6er. Any advice? If it helps, my favourite artists are Vic Wooten, Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm, Jaco Pastorius and Stanley Clarke.

7. I would go fretless then. 5er or a 6er should do it. I still play a 5er now at least until I get a chance to spend some time with something bigger. I've thought about going to a 7 string but I'm not going to pay good cash without making sure I like it first.

8. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I'm finally deciding to give in to that voice in the back of my head saying "Get a Fretless......Get a Fretless......." since I first heard what they could do.

But which one? :confused:
    I'm looking at around £300-400 and I would like a great "mwah" sorta tone from it. I would use it primarily for jazz (i'm in a jazz band), but might branch out eventually. I already own that yamaha (see above). Suggestions?

*edit* I would also like to know what I can and can't do with a fretless E.G Stringtypes and techniques. I am looking for something lined, but am open to unlined suggestions as I have no idea how hard it would be with unlined fretboard.

9. Hmmmm search on fretless. I have never owned a fretless so I don;t have a lot to contribute there. I have played several but they were big $$$. I know this topic in particular has been beat to death. My suggestion would be to go to as many stores as you can and play what you can find especially in regards to string numbers and the mwah factor. You'll find something. If the one you love is a little to pricey, see if you can find one used.

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Hey wait, THERE IS A CURE????

11. Yeah. It's called a paycheck. But it only treats the symptoms on a temporary bassis.... misspelling intended! So I guess it's not really a cure.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yamaha has a nice entry level fretless in your price range, and a couple that might be. Don't know what other brands are available in your country. These are all available as a fretless, although most shops may not have the fretless version in stock. You may have to order it.

RBX 170

[​IMG]

RBX 270

[​IMG]

BB G4SII

[​IMG]

13. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Give me Liberty or give me death!!! :spit: Hell with that, Give me another bass :hyper: :scowl: