Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me date my new/old SVT!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davelowell, Dec 6, 2003.

1. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    ok, i went in to my local store and lo and behold, an old svt. so i talked the guy down to $700, and it's mine.

here is what i can tell you.

blue cloth, black graphics, black rockers, two channels, both with normal and bright, channel one has a mid knob as well as a rocker, channel two has just bass and treble, both channels have hi and low boost. power, standby, and polarity switch. plastic ampeg logo.

i would like to know what the polarity switch is for, if anyone knows.

now for the back, serial 59508, the ampeg company, a division of the magnavox company. lookd like the power cable has been replaced with a three pronger.

thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if there is anything else i can tell you to help date it.

thanks, dave

2. You have mid to late 70's Magnavox SVT power amp chassis made in Jefferson City, Tennessee. Every Maggie I've seen has already had a three-prong cord, so yours may just be a repair. The polarity switch is for two-prong amps. Sounds like you've got a parted amp. It COULD be an MTI; word has it that they mixed and matched old parts stock to make new amps, so it could be even younger.

3. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    should i even worry about the polarity switch? flip it to see what happens?

also, any idea about who to take it to in saint louis? i want the best guy, i am willing to pay for it, i want this to last until i get sick of it, or it takes me down a flight of stairs unwillingly! smile...

thanks for your help, psycho, i hear you are the guy to ask about svt's.

dave

4. The polarity switch shouldn't do ANYTHING with a three prong cord. If it's still connected (a distinct possibility if your amp is an aftermarket frankenstein), even partially, you could damage the amp or shock yourself if you flip it. Leave it alone. Sorry, don't know anyone in St. Louis.

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    To date it I would buy it flowers, take it to a romantic dinner, and watch a movie maybe. Invite it up for coffee at the end of the night...

6. Since I've not cracked the S/N code yet, dating them requires extra effort. Ya have to look at multiple external features which will tell some of the story. And you have to examine the tubes and various other guts (if original) which can, by the process of elimination, tell some of the rest of the story.

No clear S/N code/deciphering combined with (IMO) the utilization of "leftover" parts with the previous corporate name. For example, I know of no one who can discern a date of manufacture from "serial 59508". And though it's not the case with yours, the rear panels are an ass-pain. I'm too tired to go into my theory on that; plus it's really boring.

I think yours is a late 1972, 1973, or very early '74.

'74/'75 are tricky years. I'm still not sure when exactly the external cosmetics (for the Seventies era) took place. I'm confident that by '76 the grill-cloth no longer had the blue in it; mostly silver/black (like the AV reissues that one can buy today). This coincides with the rocker switches becoming white instead of black.

BTW, is the cooling fan on yours mounted on the inside or outside of the rear screen? And is the fan's shroud/housing plastic or metal? Do any of the tubes (including preamp tubes) look original?

7. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    KOA, the fan is on the inside. i haven't even turned one screw on the thing to see inside it, for fear of getting shocked to all get out. i kinda checked on it via a website i can't remember right now, but i thought 72 to 75 as well. can't wait to get the ampeg book to see for sure.

thanks everyone for all the info, it's great.

8. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    plugged in on in at practice today, and damn! this is exactly what i was looking for! rock, rock, rock!

the one happy guy

9. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    King, i did get the old tubes out and some seem to be original. i will repost with some codes when i get them back from the shop on monday. do you know how to date the tubes if they are original?

also, the schematic inside says linden, nj, but the back plate says magnavox. hmm...

dave

10. Most likely, yes.
    Mine too. My preamp schematic is dated 6-69 and the poweramp is dated 10-70.

11. BTW, be careful handling the tubes cuz the lettering rubs off real easy.

12. Take it to Acme Guitars in Dogtown - dont know the exact address, but they are in the book. Best guys in town by far for working on tube amps of any kind. He'll know exactly what you have too.

Don't expect one day service though :D