Help me date my Squire Strat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Dec 18, 2005.

1. ...An older Squire Affinity Strat that is. The serial number is CY80911687 and says its crafted in china. I was told that the "CY80" means it was built in 1980 but I need more confirmation. The Fender website got me no where, and the Squire site is even worse.

It is white with a white (now black, I painted it). I got if from my school for free ( :D , I sort of permanetly borrowed it), they have about 25 of them. Either red, blue, or the color of mine. The neck is maple, headstock and neck is all one peice, the fretboard is rosewood, body is probably alder.

The pups sound good, electronics are a bit noisy/staticy, It could probably use some better sheilding under the guard. But I have plans for this thing. It plays really well, even with rusty strings.

I plan on getting a new bridge, black pickguard and getting the headstock painted to match the body. Its a good player and really only needs a new electronics package and bridge to keep it in tune. Im ofcourse not leaving my basses alone, this will be over a course of a few months, since all the upgrades I want for it should come to around $280-350, which I dont mind putting into a good playing cheapo instrument.

So can you bassist who play gee-tar on the side help me out with find how old this Strat is, any spec sheets, anything? And do you have and new tremolo bridge recomendations? (Pictures to come later)

(NOTE: I only got this 6er to help my bassline writing. And for my guitar playing friends to have something to mess around on when they come over.)
  2. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Why not call your school and see if the inventory report has a purchase date on it?

If they are too busy to help, the kid who would have played that instrument has time now..... maybe they can do some research for you.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I don't believe that the "affinity" label existed in 1980. I think at that point, it was a squire, or it wasn't.