Help me decide! 15" drivers.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deepwoods, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    OK, I decided to go for a Dr. Bass Rx115 3 space "airhead" cabinet to house my RBI pre and Carvin DCM1000. The cabinet comes stock with an Eminence Beta 15 350watt driver rated down to 35hz. The Dr. offered a Delta 15LF 500watt driver rated at 40hz on the low end as an upgrade +$25. I will be using a 5 string and pushing it hard. Is the Delta 15LF a worthwhile upgrade? The specs confuse me on the low end. It seems the Delta will handle more power and has greater excursion while the Beta is rated to go 5hz lower and is supposedly more "musical" sounding. Additionally, the Beta is recommended for a min. box size of 3.75 while the Delta is suitable for a smaller box, min 3.25. The actual cab is 18"hx20.25wx15"d. Help me decide! Thanks in advance.
  2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Is the Eminence Kappa Pro an option at all? I have one of those and they sound great
  3. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Parts Express sells those for $70 to $90 while some of the better Eminence drivers cost $150-250+. You get what you pay for with Eminence; my advice would be to pay more and get more speaker.

You will also discover that a combo cabinet is usually too small to be ideal; sound (low end) is sacrificed for size. My rough math indicates that box is about 2.5' . You mentioned 'minimum box size" as a parameter- that's fine if your goal is small size. If your goal is the best sound you might consider a bigger cab.
  4. I think I'm not alone when I say that the Eminence Beta 15 is not a great choice for a bass driver. The Delta15LF would be a better choice, but this depends on the cabinet volume and tuning.
    Is Dr. Bass gonna custom tune the cabinet for the DeltaLF or just drop it in the same cabinet as the Beta? If not, you won't really know what you'll be getting.
    Can you find out the cabinet internal volume and what they plan to tune the cabinet to for the different drivers you're considering? Can you buy the cabinet speaker-less?

I recently bought a couple of Eminence Kappa Pro LF-2s from Dave over at Avatar. He can get ya anything that Eminence makes at a vey good price. These drivers kick some butt..

If these are your only choices (and you're mind is set), I'd take the Delta LF ..

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You most certainly are not alone. The 15LF model will get the job done for you, it can move a good amount of air.
  6. Using your dimensions, 0.75" material, and a 1.5" baffle recess, I get a net volume of 1.93 cubic feet after factoring 0.15 cubic feet for driver displacement.

The stated usage of 5 string, driven hard, means a tuning in the 31 ~ 35 Hz range. The Beyma 15P1000, Beyma 15G40, Beyma 15G400, and JBL K-140 are contenders in 15" for this cabinet.

The Beta 15" sucks all the way around, and the Delta 15LF is completely inappropriate for this size cabinet and 5-string usage.