1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide 4x10 or 6x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Hands, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Jazz Hands

Jazz Hands

Dec 16, 2007
    So I have an Ampeg B2R (350w RMS) head & I've finally saved some scratch to buy a decent cab. Online in my area I've found an Ampeg SVT6x10 ($600 600wRMS) & a SVT4x10($500 500wRMS). *And these are asking price so I'm assuming I can knock a bit off. So my question is which is the better decision & keep in mind my head because my tax return isn't large enough to replace it too. Side notes:
    - we have a van so hauling a 4 or 6x10 shouldn't matter
    - "most" gigs I use the amp XLR out (but not in practice)
    - I've been using a 4x10 & not sure if having some more height will be a benefit I'm unaware of
    - & just because I can afford the 6x10 I don't want to buy too much cab for the head & have it sound poor

Hopefully I painted a complete picture ~ what's should I go with?

2. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have the 410 and it's great...but if I were doing it over again I might get the 610 just for the height alone. The 410 is annoying to roll along, you have to bend over to push or pull it. The 610 looks like it would be about perfect. But I hear they sound different (6 doesn't have the tweeter?) so you should probably give 'em both a listen.

3. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    6x10s are wicked. But ask yourself -- can you move it up & down stairs yourself?

Do what I did -- buy a 2x10 for on top of the 4x10!

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    My experience with B2R is that it is too underpowered to sound good with a 6x10. My experience is also that Ampeg 4x10's are not as loud as most other 4x10's all other factors being equal. The bassist in a band I was in a few years ago (I played keys) used a B2R with an Ampeg 4x10 and got buried under the drums and guitar (Fender Super blackface). He eventually switched to a GK 4x10 and it really improved his presence in the onstage mix.

This is one person's experience, but it's true. Usual disclaimers: IMHO, YMMV, etc.

5. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006

but its not a problem to move a 100+lb square box up the stairs by yourself?

do the 6. your getting a heavy cab either way, so why not go for it?

6. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I guess it really depends on your existing cab.

I'd probably look into a new head before the cab. A used SVT-II Pro can cost you about $800 and your tone will be so much better.

7. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    610 :bag:

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    What is your current 4x10? I would be tempted to just add a 2x10" in your situation if your current cab is any good and you want 6 10"s.

But really, what I would do is hold out for an 8x10". It's a little more bulky and a little more heavy, but they get speakers up even higher and sound even fuller and heavier than a 6x10. But that's just me, and it's not because a 6x10 isn't a great sounding cab because it is. I just figure if you're going to go big, GO BIG!
    :bassist:

9. +1 On the 6X10! I use one and, although heavy and akward, the sound coming from that baby more than makes up for the bad discs in the old neck!!

10. Is the 4x10 the SVT410HE or SVT410HLF?

If its the 410HLF I would just get the 6x10 because its not really that much bigger/heavier.

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    610. i had one and loved it, i ended up downsizing to a 410 mainly for aesthetic and monetary reasons (it matched my V4 and i couldnt afford to have an extra cab laying around).

the bassist in the band i share a practice space with uses a B2re with a 4x10 and a 2x10 extension, his idea was that he could have either the full 6 or take one of the two to smaller gigs but most of the time hes hauling both cabs.

if youre going to carry 100+ lbs of weight the 610 is a little less awkward simply because as stated above its higher and easier to roll using the towel bar and if youre going up stairs you can easily tag team it, but its also has the side handles so you can move it yourself if need be.

edit - i dont know what youre using for a 410 now, but the 610 is ported with a tweeter so it covers the lows and highs fairly well

12. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    +1 I get tired of sales guys pitching B2Rs to unsuspecting bassists, as the B line seems ridiculously exaggerated AFA power specs.

13. Jazz Hands

Jazz Hands

Dec 16, 2007
    I noticed a few people asking what I had currently. So right now I'm playing an Ampeg PR410 cab (using the same B2R head). I've had great sound, but that is absolutely the worst cab in the world for gigging ~ I believe 160lbs (plus it's getting banged up & ready to retire).

14. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    The B2R has a great ss ampeg tone. Just be sure you are running it a 4 ohm load. It makes a difference.
    I've been running an SVT15E with an SVT210E on top and it sounds pretty good for the blues show we do. Sometimes I use the B2R and sometimes the V4B. I really like the V4B and its sound.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed 100% - those amps are rediculously over-priced for their level of "performance", and rediculously over-rated for wattage... pretty much ANY amp with a similar rating will crush a B2R/B2RE - including a Behringer... My Peavey MarkVI spanked one so bad, the B2R owner was seriously pissed that he got ripped off when he bought that over-priced piece of crap...

Oh, and on the OT - for the price difference, get the 610 - IMO, the SVT610-HLF is one of the best stand alone cabs on the market...

- georgestrings

16. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    610 period for that price:cool:

17. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Today I played some cabs, and the Ampeg 610 sounded great. Also plugged the same SVT4 pro head into the NV610 and could barely tell any difference. The 810 was insane, but that's another story.

18. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I suffered with the B2R for two horrendous years. It could barely get the speakers on my BXT-410 pumping. That cab was rated 600RMS just like the 610 you want.

Believe it or not, the efficiency of your rig could very well stay the same or possibly decrease with the 610. Your intentions are definitely in the right place, but try to think of the entire rig together instead of separate components.

If you put a 210 on top of a 115, you'll be shockingly surprised. The 115 can give you more punch than you'd expect it to, and the 210 would fill in anything you'd be missing. Plus, the B2R would keep up better with that pair of cabinets better than a 610. PLUS, you'd have the option of bringing only 1 cab to tiny gigs.

What I did was invest in a power amp. The B2R sounded good enough (........ take that with a big grain of salt) but the power amp enabled me to power a 410 and 115 together.

Then when I could no longer stand the SS tone, I got a V4B for $350. Don't forget that option. ;)

19. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    I've owned the B2r, first i played it through a single BSE4x10h, later on i added the svt1x15e.

This rig had an awesome sound, but i knew i was'nt satisfyed.

I sold my cabs and bought the svt610hlf, i knew this combination (b2r, 610hlf) would'nt be the best. the 610 really needs something to push it hard.

But it worked, i later on bought svt4pro and monobridged it through the 610, now this is a combination you should try.

Bare in mind, if you tried the svt4pro along with the 610 and did'nt notice much difference from the b2r. The svt4pro probably operated in stereo.

I'd say 6x10 over 4x10 anytime(for a standalone cab),
    You're b2r head will work with the 6x10, but i'd recommend a future upgrade, you wan't some headroom.