1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me decide between some options please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sethlow3, Mar 23, 2013.

1. I already have a wonderful Fender P5 MIA. The problem is now I have to decide between three scenarios as to what would back this bass up. I have to keep it around $300-$500 used or new

1.) Affordable backup 5 ($300 new or used):
    Fender Squier Active Jazz Deluxe V- PROS great tone, great B string. CONS heavy weight, not passive
    Yamaha BB425- PROS great tone, great B string passive. CONS heavy weight

2.) Acoustic 4 ($400 used)
    Tacoma Olympia- PROS lightweight, can teach lessons with, and acoustic CONS no B string and not passive

3.) Fender Mexican J or P ($300-400 used)
    J- who doesn't need a J? I'd then have a P5 and J4. lightweight and classic studio sounds.
    P- Same as my 5 basically but a 4. ""

So what would be most useful?
    An affordable 5 that's passive yet heavy weight?
    An acoustic to teach on, play in the park unplugged, and use on my acoustic shows.
    A Mexi J or P for those gigs where people "must have a 4" or to cop even more fender tones in the studio?

Which would be most useful and why? I really need all 3. lol...

2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I think it's a rather silly question to ask a pack of strangers without telling them what kind of music you play, whether it's for gigging or recording, etc.

3. Everything really. A lot of country, classic rock, modern pop, and new wave lately.

4. I play for a living. Mostly live. We do acoustic shows on Sundays which is partly why I am considering an acoustic.

5. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    In a 'grab it and go' scenario,I would imagine another 5r would be the best choice,as that's what you're accustomed to playing..no trying to transpose your B riffs on the fly,just grab it and go..

I have acoustic basses and love 'em,but quite honestly their applications are pretty narrow..Great for home on the couch noodling or unplugged with an acoustic guitar,but unless you're plugged in you'll get lost with 2 or more acoustic guitars..

6. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    My vote would be the jazz with an arsenal of a pbass and a jazz bass there's really nothing you can't pull off
    But then again my pbass does everything I need

7. I totally get that. I can easily pickup the other 5 and be stage ready in seconds without thinking too much. I guess after years of heavy fivers it's a bit of a turn off to play anything over 9lbs anymore. Plus I live in Nashville and there's seems to be an unspoken rule to own a fender four and be ready to play one at a moments notice. The acoustic thing is a thought because they are very light, a 4, and I'd play plugged in acoustic gigs. SO CONFLICTED!

8. See and then this keeps crossing my mind. So many cats say have a Fender P and J no matter what. THE STANDARDS. :). I more of a Pass guy, but I miss my old jazz sometimes.

9. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    How about a jazz v ?? I played one for a year and it was a great bass but i missed my 4 string pbass only reason I got rid of it

10. They have been tough to find for under 500 for me lately. Not sure if they'd be that light either. The only 5 that seems to be really light and worth anything soundwise is an Ibanez SR505. Even then I'd rather keep it passive. :(

11. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    What do you consider light? For me the jazz v wasn't bad certainly not as bad as the Washburn t4 I had but not as light as my Mia pbass

12. I'd like 8 lbs or less. It's probably a pipe dream at under $500.

13. It feels like a lost cause. Like I should just workout more and deal with the weight. Is this anyone else's experience?

14. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    Hmm get a hollow bodied gretsch and go all rockabilly lol, or how about a 4 string jazz strung bead? That may be great for your needs

15. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    Actually, you should probably buy an acoustic, try a Michael Kelly 5er.

I actually only play 4 strings, but I just had to try it out. It was pretty nice.

Not making switch though.

16. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    If I were in your shoes (tho I never will be because I don't like 5ers) I would get a MIM J, or maybe build a parts bass

17. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    You can also route quite a bit from under a pickguard..

18. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Anyway: go like this

MIM Jazz Standard IV

Or stay 5er savin' money...
    ... How?!
    MIM Fender Jazz Standard come 5 stringer as well

Didn't you know?

Cheers,
    Wallace