Help me decide between these two basses fast!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrettAM, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Ok guys, I have enough money to buy both these basses, but I just cant decide between the two of them. I've really wanted a 7-string for quites some time now but I've also really wanted an ABG for quite some time now. I'm totally torn!

The 7-string:

The ABG:

I've e-mailed the seller of the ABG to ask about volume etc. but there's not much time left in the auction so I'm not sure whether he'll respond or not. Help me out!
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  3. um, yea-correction, I have enough to buy either one of these basses, not both. :) sorry bout that
  4. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    I am going to say.. the Conklin. It's a nice looking bass. I'm not a big fan of the ABG, especially how it looks. Just my $0.02.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think the semihollow looks fantastic, but I've never heard of the maker.

I don't think I'd call it an ABG, though - I think the sellers comments about the design being more comparable to a Turner Renaissance are probably accurate. I would be very, very tempted to take the chance. Have you emailed the seller to ask about returns?

Are you comfortable with the idea of always plugging it in? If not, you're in the price range of a Tacoma Thunderchief, too.
  6. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I like the conklin better, i just dont like the looks of the ABG.

Those takoma acoustics are really nice.
  7. I'm cool with the plugging it in part-I have a little danelectro amp I can cart around, and I'll be able to hear it when just sitting out on my deck playing for myself or one or two other people.... I really want a 7 string but I used to have a Godin A4 which was sooooooooo wonderful.... I really regret selling that one.

I didn't ask the seller about returns when I e-mailed him, but if he responds to the one I sent him then I'll send another.

Oh man thats so tempting! But so is that damn conklin!
  8. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    conklin, or if ya want an acousticy thing, thunderchief. the ren-like thing isnt nearly as cool looking as real rens, and the brand seems unfamiliar.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    But that burl is so SWEET!
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, which would i choose, hmm...

11. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Get the one with the interstate highway...;)

the "ABG" looks awful.
  12. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Conklin-I love the look of the semihollow but I've never played one like it and I've never heard of the guy. The Conklin just seems to be a sounder investment-hey JT, do you have any good exercises that could help me familiarize myself with the fretboard and to just help me get used to playing this thing? Or any advice in general regarding playing a 7 string bass?
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sure. here's some general things that will help your fretting hand adjustment to the instrument. these are what i do.

1. with your fretting hand, don't try to squeeze the neck with your hands so much as use your thumb for a guide and use your shoulder and triceps to pull your arm back and help provide pressure to the strings. this helps minimize hand fatique and, since your arms and shoulders are much stronger than your hands, general fatique is minimized as well - less effort to play.

2. wear the instrument with the neck at about a 45 degree angle, maybe even more - it's much more natural for your wrist - no extreme twists or weird angles on your fretting hand.

3. wear the bass at about the waist level, so that both fretting arm and plucking arm are at a 90 degree angle at the elbow, and plucking wrist is almost straight, and fretting wrist doesn't have to bend that much to access the lowest (pitched) strings.

as far as learning the board, one of the best things you can do is to make a map of the board, with all the frets marked as to what note they are.

another really great thing to do is to practice scales and sing the note names as you play them. sing "a" as you play an "a". do it slow at first, and make sure you sing the right note, in tune with the instrument. this can do _so_ much for you, not just as a player, but as a musician in general. it can help you internalize the "sound" of each pitch, helping with your ear ability, it will help you learn the notes on the neck and the note names of every scale, and it will help to develop your singing abilities. it will also get you used to singing while playing your bass. this is a really REALLY great exercise for developing your all around musicianship.
  14. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I owned a one of those gtconklins and did not like it... Id go with the cool odd one.
  15. I'd say go for the GT 7.. That's it.
  16. Mr. Mendes,

Sorry to be the devil's advocate, but....

Asking for advice on deciding between a 7-string and a 4-string seems to indicate that you haven't spent enough time thinking about what your requirements are.

If I asked a group of automotive enthusiasts

"Help!!!! I cannot decide which car to buy and I need to know right away!!! The choices are: 1) A 4wd Chevrolet Suburban or B) A Cooper Mini."

They would question whether this was an emotional purchase or a rational one. There is nothing wrong with getting something purely on the "charge" that it gives you, but no one can ever decide which one wins on your G.A.S. meter but YOU.

So, in this case (the question that is the title of this thread) for this particular person (you) buying which bass, the correct answer is "Whichever one puts the most spring in your step".

Not trying to be condescending about this, just trying to be real. Whichever bass you chose - I sincerely hope you are just as happy with it in 5 years as you are the day you get it.

BTW - regarding questions or advice after the purchase, if you chose the Conklin, I'm quite certain that our friend jt would be an invaluable source of advice regarding the instrument.
  17. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    they are both ugly as hell IMHO but if you had to buy one, make it the conklin, the ABG reminds me too much of a wishnevsky, even if the build quality isnt anywhere near as bad.