1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me decide between three basses (new to bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0 Xero 0, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0

Jan 17, 2012
    I need a bass to record with and I'll be using amp sims and plugins. I've been doing a lot of reading and I know questions like this get asked a lot, but these basses are more in the mid range as far as price and quality rather than the low or high end. I'm stuck between a yamaha rbx 765a, rbx 775, fender standard jazz 5 mim, warwick streamer standard 5 rock bass, and a peavey grind 5.

There are a couple things I'm uncertain of. All of the basses have active circuitry (save the warwick), but aside form the 765 and warwick, the other three have a 35" scale. I'll be playing in drop Ab and drop C so is the 35" scale critical? Also, since I'm new to bass I haven't played a lot and I'll be purchasing this online so I won't get to play any of them. I play progressive metal and I want a bass that's aggressive and clear. I'd appreciate any input you could all give me. For the sake of simplicity, just assume these basses are all the same price (they're all within $100 of each other or so...). Thanks!

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Drop tunings? The extra inch will help you, but I don't think it's a complete dealbreaker. Use thick strings to compensate for looser tension due to drop tuning.

Progressive metal, need lots of clarity? I'd think one of the Yamahas. The blue 775 has some killer looks, too, and all the Yamahas I've owned have always been very well made, comfortable to hold and play (good ergonomics) and good overall value.

3. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0

Jan 17, 2012
    Sweet. Thanks. It seems like that's the best choice so far. I found one for a pretty sweet deal but it's black... I'm going to end up with a collection of black guitars on accident, haha. There's a sweet 765 that's green and gold and I really like that scheme but I'm not sure how much the extra inch will help and how different they are quality wise.