1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide: Carvin LB76, Lakland Skyline 55-01, G&L Tribute L2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    There are three basses for sale in the classifieds that I am considering.

When I stopped playing about 4 years ago, I had a Roscoe SKB-3006. Loved the 6-string, and would like to start back on a 6-string, BUT I would be OK with a 5'er.

First, the Carvin. LB76, appears to be in great shape and has two J99's and the onboard pre. I've heard great things about this, but the one thing I'm concerned about is the electronics. I know nothing about Carvin electronics and can't exactly find much. How good is the electronics package, and what is the playability like? Seller is asking $700+shipping.

Second, the Lakland. Haven't had the chance to mull this over yet, but I saw it yesterday and it caught my eye. I know nothing about Lakland's, but their reptutation precedes them and everyone here seems to think they are great. I know this is a Skyline, but what does everybody think about them? Seller says it has two Bartolini MK1s and the Bart MK1 3-band pre. Thoughts here? Seller is asking $550 shipped.

Last but not least is the G&L Trib. Appears to be in great condition, and the reviews on these things are phenomenal. I like the looks, the sound of the reviews, and everything about it, but I'm just unsure. Never had the chance to play one, and don't know if I will. Seller asking $425 shipped.

Any thoughts that anyone can give me on these would be much appreciated. I'm going to play a Carvin LB75 today (i hope) and that will help me make my decision, but I have so little experience with all of these brands that anything you guys can give me will help out.

Thanks a ton.

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Bump?!

3. Just curious why you're not considering another Roscoe. I played a 5 string a few weeks ago and it was really nice. Roscoes are in a different league than the three you're looking at.

I've played a Lakland 55-02 and liked it. It had a good B string too. It is 35" scale in case that matters to you. Let us know how you like the Carvin.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

One word:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:)

I actually played all three of the basses (or pretty close to it) on this list today (Bass Emporium freaking ROCKS, btw).

I played a Carvin LB75, a Lakland 55-01, and a G&L Tribute L-2000.

The Lakland, even with the "cheap" MK1's absolutely blew the other two away. It was no comparison in my mind. In fact, if I had the money right then and there, I would've walked out with a new Lakland. Playability, tone, feel, balance---EVERYTHING about the Lakland was better than the Carvin or the G&L, and not by a small amount.

As I should've before I even posted this thread, I made up my mind by playing them. I wasn't aware that I would have that option when I posted the thread, but now that I got to, it's an easy pick in my mind.

5. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    carvin carvin carvin.

im very pleased with the bang for the buck on my XB76. lasted my quite failthfully for 3+ years, with litterally not one neck adjustment- nor the need for one.

6. Well, I can only give you my experience. The Carvin is going to sound better than the 55-01, I own a 2007 Carvin LB75AP Anniversary w/18v preamp as the result of buying a 55-01 and being totally disappointed in the output of the Bartolini pups that came with the Lakland, except for the low B which sounded great, the rest of the strings output was anemic at best. Sold the Lakland 6 mths after I bought it. Depending on what year the Carvin is, if it's got the new electronics 18v vs. 9v. might make a difference in tone, but I like the passive sound of my Carvin over the active tone. I took me 4 mths to get a live gigable sound that I liked with Carvin's active preamp. The Carvin is capable of getting alot of different tones, at least mine does. Anywaze, got tired of dealing with tonal issues with the Carvin and ended up purchasing a '08' MIA Jazz V and haven't looked back since.

I've played my buddy's G&L Tribute and it is the best of the bunch, by far. It has the closest of all to a Jazz Bass tone. The G&L's got great active tone and great passive tone, plus gets a ton of great tones to boot. My vote for the G&L, hands down - not over the '08' Jazz though.:smug:

7. I currently own a Lakland 55-01 and a G&L L2500. They are both great instruments. The Lakland has a flatter neck that feels wide, whereas the G&L has a rounder neck. The Lakland has the 35" scale. My Lakland has a Bart pre-amp upgrade. They are very different animals as far as feel goes. Both feel great in their own way.

I've decided that I'm a 4 string guy, so I'm currently selling them both on the bay.

8. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Having owned an lb76 and a 55-01 i can say that neither price is unreasonable for an instrument in good condition. I would go for the lb76, because in my experience, it is a more versatile instrument than the 55-01. That being said, I have never played the Tribute...

9. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I love my Trib L-2000. I have never played the other two. I bought my L-2000 based on recommendations around here. I actually never played one before I ordered. I was very happy in the end. I was a newb and it was nice to hit it out of the park on your first try. The only thing I really want of now is a Fender Jazz USA. You are getting a lot of bass for the money my friend.

10. You know what to do now. :hyper:

You're lucky to live close to a such a great store.

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'd buy the carvin just because it's made here. But I'm funny that way.

12. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I've already weighed in on Carvin in your other thread about it vs. the Warwick, but the fact that you used to play a Roscoe brings up an interesting point.

The guy playing my bass in the video usually plays a Roscoe SKB-3006, and he really liked my bass. He couldn't believe it only cost $1750. I actually got my Carvin for money reasons too, I had some money set aside for a Roscoe but then there was a car accident and plans changed. Just something that I thought might be helpful, knowing that someone who liked the same bass you used to have also liked one you're looking at.

13. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    ... that's why they sell all different brands... LOL...
    gotta get them in your hands and then decide...

( lakland, lakland, lakland) subliminal message...

14. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I have a 5501 and had a 2500.

The 2500 was a boat anchor and I did not like the tones that came out of it.

It had to bounce.

The 5501 is one of my favorite basses...