1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide (Compressor related)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Jan 3, 2020.

Which Compressor

Poll closed Jan 10, 2020.
  1. Origin Effects Cali76

30 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Mxr M87

22 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. Jam Pedals Dynassor

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Mad Professor Forest Green

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. Lehle RMI Dual Band Compressor

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Wampler Pedals Ego

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Carl Martin Compressor Limiter

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Okko Coca Comp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Diamond Bass Compressor

30 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Endorsing Artist: Gr Bass, Pyramid Strings, MPE Audio
    Hello,

after reading extensively here and on the ovnilab site I'm asking for your help in order to choose a compressor pedal.

I'm mostly using a P bass (c.shop 64 reissue) playing pop and rock. The pedalboard will consist in a Tonehammer Preamp, compressor and tuner .. so quite simple with the goal of using it for in ear monitoring.

Said so I'm after a used market (in EUROPE!) and the Cali would be the ultimate choice. But let's say that it's a little over my budget therefore here are other options.

Which one would you choose ?

Thanks

82548659_449170789302585_8049632022605332480_n.jpg

2. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    I voted for the Diamond cause it works for me in the style of music I'm into at this time. It's dead simple and quiet but it only has about 3:1 ratio so if you need more squish or a limiter, you'll need to look elsewhere.
    FWIW, I have the original Bass Comp and the Jr. and I can't tell any difference in performance but the Jr. fits on my compact board better.
    B.

johnpaulbass likes this.
  3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Screenshot_20200103-075400~2.png

4. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    as said... I'm reading the things (including that thread) and have quite an idea...
    Thanks for the link though

Would like to test the waters though what other members think and see how the Pool goes.

Thanks

Nanaki likes this.
  5. Gabbs

Gabbs

May 15, 2010
    Boulder Creek, CA
    I run an Empress and my guitar player runs a Cali 76. I'd happily swap compressors, but she wouldn't.

Nothing else really comes close to a Cali 76.

6. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Next step after reading is pulling the trigger and spending some time and $$$$$$__$.

Down the compressor vortex you go.

;)

7. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What are you hearing in your in ears right now that makes you think you need a compressor?

BazzaBass, pbass2 and SLO Surfer like this.
  8. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    That would be my 2 board.... with my main board I'm so used to play through a compressor that from the day that I've started using it (some 5 years ago) ... no external sound goes without it. In my main board I'm using an Aguilar TLC which is great.

I would love to try something else though (had some relatively "cheap" ones (which does not mean they were bad!) in the past, think: spectracomp, dynacomp, mxr132 and wasn't satisfied, expecially after the TLC came into the picture).

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Diamond will be your best bang-for-the-buck IMO. It's also stupidly easy to use. I've also used the Carl Martin which is impressive but somewhat more difficult to dial-in plus it's hard-wired for 110/220. You can buy a whole lotta compressor for low-dough!

Bet it would sound great with the ToneHammer which I also use.

Riis

johnpaulbass likes this.
  10. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ok cool, if you like the TLC, I'd say either the Diamond, which gets a lot of love for good reason, or the for more flexibility, the Smoothie. Although I'm not sure you'd have that available in your area. So I voted for the Diamon. Good luck on your decision!

johnpaulbass likes this.
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Diamond Comp Jr. for me, but it depends on what exactly you want. After going through around 100 compressors, the Diamond is the only one that delivers what *I* was looking for...punch and tonal magic.

Planespotter, BLDavis and jdwinva like this.
  12. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    The diamond is really awesome as a tone enhancer for passive fender style basses.

BLDavis and jdwinva like this.
  13. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I’ve had my Diamond Jr (and first compression pedal) about a month, and it is exactly what I desired. I don’t think I’m missing anything from other brands, so I count it a home run on the first pitch.

Passive P bass and Kramer player....

Planespotter likes this.
  14. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Whatever it is try it together with the tone hammer first if you can,sometimes two good pedals are not so great working together.

15. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Tried a lot and the Diamond Mini is where I landed. Magical. It really comes down to the amp too. I use my Diamond Compressor with my Mesa D800+ but don't need it or use it with my Ampeg PF50-T.

16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I really like the MXR and start my signal chain off right after the tuner on all my boards.

You can see what your squashing, its very flexible and more on the transparent side of things.

RhynoRock, Rojd and monsterthompson like this.
  17. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob

Jul 5, 2006
    I would suggest the Doc Lloyd Photon Death Ray but good luck finding one.

18. The Cali 76B is the first pedal compressor that I love. The Smoothie was close. Never got along with the Diamond. But I am playing an active Warwick, not a Fender, on most of my gigs.

19. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I have an older Carl Martin (with the AC plug) in my studio and it sounds great. I also have a Keeley Bassist and a bunch of high end plug-ins, but the Carl Martin has something the others don't. It is a bit on the larger side.

20. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    After trying some of the ones on your list, I went for one you don't have listed. I absolutely love my Markbass Compressore. It also got great reviews on Ovnilab. I would imagine it would be easy to find there in Europe. Thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021