Help me decide , defret an old jazz or new vm squier fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cuda, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Cuda

Cuda

Sep 19, 2013
    I can't decide what the do pull the tigger on a new Squier vm fretless or defret my first bass a affinity jazz that I learned on . I want to try fretless and never play the affinity now .My band wants me to do a few songs that require the voice a fretless gives. Any advice. I've thought about a fretless neck but that's about 150 $ and the vm squier is only 300.

2. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    If you end up not liking the defret, then what?

Additionally, you say a few songs need a fretless sound. Do the rest also need it?

I say keep the bass in its condition and buy a new bass if the cost isn't an issue.

3. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I defretted my Squier Affinity P 14 years ago as a not-very-handy 16 year-old. Took a few days and cost about $20 in materials. The satisfaction of having done it myself still makes me proud.

4. Cuda

Cuda

Sep 19, 2013
    Twinjet: I don't use the bass now it just sits. If fretless is a folly then I'll have one my kids will sell when I die. I have some others i gig.

twinjet likes this.
  5. Cuda

Cuda

Sep 19, 2013
    Thanks Matt ,diy is definitely appealing.

6. Warhawk

Warhawk Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2003
    South of Heaven, Ohio
    If you decide to do it, there's a sticky at the top of "Hardware Setup & Repair" that should be helpful.

7. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I'm seeing inexpensive fretless necks appearing in the classifieds all the time. Save for one of those.

gebass6 and Pumpkin like this.
  8. Normally I would say "buy a $100 MightyMite fretless neck and put it on the Squier" but I am not fully sure affinity neck pockets are 100% compatible with fender standard

BassLover668 likes this.
  9. Buy the neck ; ) and play that bass!
    The fretless VM is awesome, you can sell the affinity too and buy VM.
    But defret isn't good idea.

gebass6 likes this.
  10. Cuda

Cuda

Sep 19, 2013
    Ok now leaning towards the VM, must be manopause and can!t make a decision.

11. Glasiron

Glasiron

Jan 15, 2016
    Colorado
    I cant speak for the affinity, but I put a mighty mite neck onto a classic vibe once. The pocket was a little too tight for the neck, but nothing that 5 minutes with some sandpaper couldnt fix.

gebass6 likes this.
  12. Cuda

Cuda

Sep 19, 2013
    Pulled the trigger , new Squier , thanks for all your advice.

13. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    An Affinity would make for an interesting and relatively inexpensive modding platform, should you decide to learn one thing or two about diy.
    But if all you plan to do is just getting a fretless sound and call it a day with modding, buying the VM (like you did) and either keeping or selling the Affinity sounds like the most prudent and reliable decision

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022