Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide. EBS or Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve just located one EBS Fafner and an Ashdown ABM500RC (the rackmounted chromefaced one), both used in great shape and at the same price. I have played both but at different times with different cabs and I like them both. Which head would you buy and why? Has anyone played both and have a favourite? Tell me what you think!

2. I've never taken the plunge on an Ashdown so I can't really offer any insight there.

I do have a Fafner (among others). In the grand scheme of things it's a relatively light amp, very powerful and will run happily at 2 ohms all night without a hiccup. The controls take a while to get used to, but offer a lot of variety once you get them figured out. Overall it's a pretty capable package.

Does the Fafner offered have a blue or grey stripe? The blue stripe is more recent, has a bit more power as well as some improvements to the original.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It´s a blue stripe model. But I just read the manual on EBS´s site and it says the Fafner only puts out 360 W RMS at 4 Ohms. The 620 W is dynamic output at 2 Ohms.
    The Ashdown puts out like 570 W RMS at 4 Ohms. Will this make a big difference in volume?

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The 360 watts is continuous watts, whereas it's 440 watts of dynamic power.

I used to have a blue stripe Fafner. In a band setting with a loud guitarist and a VERY loud drummer, I found myself turning *down* from 3, when I couldn't hear the guitarist!:eek:

From all I've read, you have to double the wattage to increase by 3db of output power. It'll be loud enough for most applications.:D

5. I'd get the Fafner, more versatile than the Ashdown, but then again, it's a hard decission, I had to make the same a few months ago, went for the EBS :D

6. You won't find the Fafner underpowered. It routinely pushes one or two 4 ohm Acme Low-B2 cabs nicely here. :)

7. I use the Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 and it rocks, great range of tones, very loud, as loud as my old SVTCL head and very warm sounding. Sits well in a band mix, its a good amp for most styles, it gets my vote.