Help me decide. EBS or Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve just located one EBS Fafner and an Ashdown ABM500RC (the rackmounted chromefaced one), both used in great shape and at the same price. I have played both but at different times with different cabs and I like them both. Which head would you buy and why? Has anyone played both and have a favourite? Tell me what you think!
  2. I've never taken the plunge on an Ashdown so I can't really offer any insight there.

I do have a Fafner (among others). In the grand scheme of things it's a relatively light amp, very powerful and will run happily at 2 ohms all night without a hiccup. The controls take a while to get used to, but offer a lot of variety once you get them figured out. Overall it's a pretty capable package.

Does the Fafner offered have a blue or grey stripe? The blue stripe is more recent, has a bit more power as well as some improvements to the original.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It´s a blue stripe model. But I just read the manual on EBS´s site and it says the Fafner only puts out 360 W RMS at 4 Ohms. The 620 W is dynamic output at 2 Ohms.
    The Ashdown puts out like 570 W RMS at 4 Ohms. Will this make a big difference in volume?
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The 360 watts is continuous watts, whereas it's 440 watts of dynamic power.

I used to have a blue stripe Fafner. In a band setting with a loud guitarist and a VERY loud drummer, I found myself turning *down* from 3, when I couldn't hear the guitarist!:eek:

From all I've read, you have to double the wattage to increase by 3db of output power. It'll be loud enough for most applications.:D
  5. I'd get the Fafner, more versatile than the Ashdown, but then again, it's a hard decission, I had to make the same a few months ago, went for the EBS :D
  6. You won't find the Fafner underpowered. It routinely pushes one or two 4 ohm Acme Low-B2 cabs nicely here. :)
  7. I use the Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 and it rocks, great range of tones, very loud, as loud as my old SVTCL head and very warm sounding. Sits well in a band mix, its a good amp for most styles, it gets my vote.