1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide... F bass verse Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Igotsoul4u, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

Nov 3, 2011
    Princeton
    I haven't had a fretted 5 string in a long time. I have been playing a 2008 LE Music Man Sterling 5 HH for the last 4.5 years. I absolutely love it but want to preserve the fingerboard so workhorse bass is not the plan. All my other basses have been Music Man Sterlings. Should I expand my horizons or stick to tried and true?

I have also been open to any 5's that have 1 /34" at the nut and are less then 35" scale. I had a nice Lakland 55-94 which sounded great, but it was just to big for my reach and hand. I am thinking about stepping up to an F bass BN5 but I find myself wondering if it's really worth it. The Lakland was as nice as a BN5 but lost out to a used $650 Music Man Sterling 4. I can find Sterling 5's in great condition for . It's the corvette verses lambo thing for me. Any other 5 strings out there that are more compact?

2. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    My Schecter elite is 8.5 lbs, 24 frets, and has a 35" neck. I have not gi-normous hands and navigate it just fine. it's a 45mm nut, so maybe that has something to do with it.... Also the 16" FB radius is flat as an airport runway. It doesn't feel cramped unless I play a p bass or something with a bigger playing field in mid stream. Speaking of which, I only have one gig bag and even tho the schecter has the 35" neck, it fits in shorter than my VM Jag V that just makes it. The Jag has 34" scale, is a couple inches longer and is 2 lbs. heavier. for whatever all that's worth....

I did see a couple if interviews on the F-Bass. It's a neat looking instrument. Every part of it seems to be made with specific intent and reason I would be tempted if I was in the market. Never seen a bass that has both active and passive controls.... Neat.

I've been boning up on some technique lately via SBL online course. I noticed that Scott Devine has been sporting an F Bass lately. I don't know if what I've been hearing is passive or active, he doesn't really say, because it's not really relevant to bass technique instruction, but is sure sounds as nice as the conveyances of the internet and my little monitor headphones can make it sound...

Hope all this helps in some way....

mdogs likes this.
  3. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    NY
    I believe his version is a passive one.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  4. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Scott Devine’s bass has the two sets of controls like I saw in the interview I looked at. That one was both. Which totally makes sense. F bass is the first I’ve seen with the idea of separate controls for each mode. I’ve had preamp basses before that have passive tone, but most preamp mfgs do VBT layout, which is fine for active, but personally I prefer VVT for passive, which two separate control sets allows for beautifully. Like I said, wish I was i the market for a bass...