1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help me decide (fender vintage, fender custom shop, mtd)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by black.rose1402, Jan 2, 2012.

1. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    hi bass brothers, I'm back at y'all because, it kind of disturbs me!

I have the funds to buy me a new bass

I kind of always changing my mind, resulting in some frustration!

I hesitate between buying

an mtd 635
    great bass I think, really easy to play, great tone
    but then I tell myself that seeing a string might afraid people, and moreover that the tone is not traditional, and the image... fender shape is something common that can go everywhere!

then I say to myself a vintage fender jazz bass (here it's between a 66 and a 69) price is not really that different, but the point is that the 69 had only one owner, I would be the second, the 66 seems to be great but except her two last years, I don't know anything about this instrument, and also I tell myself that I should maybe go custom shop, because they are great ( I own a pino palladino pbass),

so I tell myself that maybe I pay the price of a vintage only because it's old, but the custom shop fenders are new, got great vibe into them and as they are new, I know that everything must be in good condition

I know it looks like a spoiled kid, but really I need some help here!

thanks y'all!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You have a Precision. I'd say you were done bass shopping.

:D

But seriously, while I'm not a big fan of MTD's and boutique basses in general, you have a Precision for those who expect you to show up with a Fender, so I don't know that I'd let other musicians put me off of getting one if I wanted one bad enough. Having said that, I'd go for one of the Jazzes. Flip a coin.

3. You own a Pino Palladio Fender P-bass? Congratulations. That should last you a lifetime.

4. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I know that a precision can do everything, but as I am more of a jazz bass dude, I need that because it's home, I have a 77 , butI'll sell it because I always wanted a 60's jazz, but also an mtd

damn those choices

5. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    thanks it's a hell of a bass brother!
    tone monster!

6. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    In my mind I tell myself that a 66 or 69 jazz (eve a custom shop) and you can face every situations

but I used to have boutique basses, and I know that their construction provide a easy to play instrument that kind of makes you a better player in a sense

but the fender, it's only groove, of course we can play some technical stuff, but it's meat and potatoes bass!

7. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    and the best of all , a guy asked me to trade my pino for a 1971 precision bass in great shape!

8. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    so nobody?

9. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    you've already got a Pino P. I'd go for the MTD. You've got the Fender side of things covered.

I would not trade the Pino for a '71, but that's just me. I'd take a current Pino over pretty much anything true vintage, but again, that's just me.

10. Keep the Pino unless you can trade for a pre CBS. Or maybe '65 or '66.

11. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I think I'll keep the pino, right now the 77 jazz is goiung to be sold, the problem is that I hesitate between a vintage jazz bass ( more traditionnal, vintage...) and a mtd 635 ( easier to play, more range but might afraid people seeing coming a bass player with 6 strings!!)

by the way the pino cannot do all the things I can do on a bass, as it has flats on it, there is no way to get a decent slap sound, but of course fingerstyle on it is heaven!

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    That's a tough call since you are looking at things that are completely different. The MTD is a great instrument, but definitely a different vibe than the vintage J. I would say it depends on what style of music you plan on playing the most. This is even a bigger deal since you are comparing a 6 string to a 4 string.

Although I have a few boutique instruments, for most gigs I seem to take out a Fender styled bass. I have a '68 jazz, but don't take it out as much because it is a vintage instrument. The custom shop stuff from Fender as good as anything around IMO. If I had to make a decision now, I would lean toward the vintage instrument.

Right now in the down economy, the vintage market is a little more affordable. I've seen good examples at "reasonable" prices compared to a few years ago. If you really want a 635, it will be about the same price now and two years from now...assuming the old fender meets your needs.. versus the versatility you would get from a 6 string. Maybe split the difference... Get a Fender custom shop 5?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well you won't get the Marcus Miller sound with it, but nothing I like better than slapping on a Precision with flats. I do it all the time.

14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    anyone can get a Pino and a MTD but a good vintage fender? Just sayin.

15. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I have sort of the low class version of what you're talking about. I currently own a '98 American Standard Jazz, and a MTD Kingston Z4.

I can do just about everything I would ever want with that jazz. It is a great player. I've played punk/country/jazz/musicals/gospel/americana... you get the idea.

But I got the "boutique" itch, and while I would never compare the Kingston to the American MTDs it is a fine instrument. Does it cover territory that the Jazz cannot? Not really. Does it cover that territory differently? Absolutely!

The MTD is just as much a joy to play as the jazz, but it gives me another tool to chose from. I would definitely pick it over the jazz for musical pit bands, jazz or anything else where a great deal of flexibility could be an asset, but when I show up to my alt-country gig, I will have the Jazz in tow.

All of that said, if I had the coin to drop on one of those '70s Fenders and it was a good one (and not a boat anchor) I would do that in a second. THe MTD is a fun diversion but my heart will always be wrapped around my Fender Jazz.

16. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I kind of play everything,
    one thing sure is that I always went back to a fender jazz bass, so in a sense I'm afraid to buy the mtd and then sell it because I know that in the end, I'll go back to the jazz bass!

moreover the 69 jazz I might buy was owned by it first owner since 1969!!!
    the 66 is cool too but not the same history (and more expensive than the 69).

I was thinking of the fender custom shop but, as I have the funds, I prefer to have a nice vintage bass.
    I know the jazz allows everything, supporting role, solo stuff, slap stuff... and it's traditionnal!

17. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I do it but, really it's not the same sound, and in my mind, my Pino is really for fingerstyle playing!

18. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    good point !!!!

19. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I feel the same as you do!
    the jazz can just fit anywhere, even the look allows it!
    maybe I'll get one of the vintage jazz I talk about and if I need a 5 string, I'll buy a squier!
    there's something about these old jazz basses

20. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Well, if you get it and decide you don't want it I'll send you my address ;)