Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me decide... G&L vs. Geddy Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jan 14, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have heard great things about both the G&L L-2000s and the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz basses.

I want one of the two but I can't get both. I currently have a 1995 Stingray 4 that I love but I kinda have the itch to get a new bass.

I play in a 4 piece rock band (w/two guitars)through an SVT head w/ a 6x10 cab. I am pretty sure the L-2000 will have more than enough output but will the G.L. Jazz cut through and hold it's own?

I have played both at music stores and like them both. I have never had the chance to play either through my rig though. Cosmetically I think the G.L. Jazz looks awesome, slightly better than the L-2000 but the L-2000s are no slouch.

What do you all think?

2. I think the biggest selling point of the Geddy, for me, is the super-thin and narrow neck. I found it to be very, very fast. The L2K can be ordered with a J-width neck, but G&L's J-neck isn't quite as dainty as the Geddy's, which is modeled on the SHAVED neck of Geddy Lee's original bass.

Electronics-wise, I think the L2K is more versatile and much bigger-sounding. The Geddy I owned had lots of growl and highs, but not a ton of low end.

My bottom-line thought is that if I only owned one good bass, the L2K is the winner. If I owned a bunch of good basses and wanted the specific flavor of the Geddy, I'd buy the Geddy.

3. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, I thought the Jazz might not be enough. Why does it have to look so cool? :D

Thanks for the input.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    The G&L will cut better, be more versatile, and have a bigger sound as someone mentioned. They are also built rock solid, and are a great value if you intend to hold on to it. The L-2000 is sweet.

The Geddy will set up better, play better, and get a nice Jazz bass sound. And though I'm not one to get hung up on cosmetics, I think the GL Jazz is one of the sharpest looking 4 strings in existence.

The tuning keys on the G&L win, but I prefer the bridge on the Geddy. One advantage for the G&L is you can adjust the truss from the headstock, whereas the Geddy preserves the original spec of providing truss rod access only after removing the neck. Though the Geddy has a lacquered finish, it is one of the fastest necks around. The Geddy is reasonable enough to buy new, but you would do better for your money to seek out a used L-2000 if you go with a G&L.

5. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks seamus. Is the Jazz passive and the L-2000 active?

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Geddy looks better, but G&L is a better bass, especially for rock. Tons of bottom, cuts through, very versatile. I have a '75 Jazz (the real thing), and a G&L 2500, and if I were playing a rock gig, I know which one I'd take with me.

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Correct. I did add a J-Retro to one of my GL Jazz basses though, and it added tons of bottom. I have another I left in default mode though because it has a great sound. I'm just too accustomed to active basses, so I installed that preamp in there.

The G&L can be switched between passive and active mode as well. The knobs are: volume, treble cut, and bass cut. The toggle switches are: Neck pickup/Bridge pickup/Neck+Bridge pickup, Series/Parallel, and Passive/Active/Active+Treble Boost.

Both basses could use some extra shielding IMO.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like the Geddy Lee more because I like Jazz basses more than G&Ls. However, the G&L is at least as good a bass, probably better, in quality of worksmanship and materials. Play both and decide which one you like more.

9. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Get the Geddy Lee and add a J-Retro pre. You will then have one KILLER ax:D

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    HOw can you say a Jazz bass ia not good for Rock? LOL :D IMO the Jazz bass "it" for Rock.

I do have an L-2000 & it's an AWESOME BASS. I haven't played it in a while because I've been playing my Sadowsky Jazz & my Tokai Jazz (backup to Sad.) for a while now & I can't put the Sadowsky Jazz donw no mater how hard I try.

So far, I agree with all the GL/G&L comparisons. The GL Low end isn't the best. The L-2000 sounds incredible but it's preamp is very powerful. You might have to run the volume @ about 75-80% & the bass down alittle too.

Either way you go, you'll have a killer bass.

11. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Most people think that Precision is better for rock than a Jazz. G&L has that solid bottom that Geddy doesn't seem to, so I believe G&L is better suited for rock. That doesn't mean that you can't play rock with a Jazz, just that IMO G&L is better for it when compared to this particular Jazz.

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    its weird hearing how people think the GL is lacking bottom.

playing through my QSC/Aguilar/Bergantino rig, i have plenty of low end.

shakes the building in fact.

sure it has limited tone control...but my Aguilar DB659 can cover that.

f

13. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Where can I find a J-retro pre amp and how much are they?

I had a Hamer Jazz w/EMGs and it sounded decent but it was not a big sound. It had a really hard time cutting through.

What are Jazz basses known for when used in rock situations?

Right now I'm leaning G&L but the G.L. Jazz looks SO cool. :D

14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  15. This is what I did, and it is indeed excellent. The J-Retro is a great preamp, but its $250 new. I think its worth it, but you might not. if you get the Geddy Lee used and drop in the J Retro, you'd probably spend under $800.

16. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i REALLY love the Geddy in its passive state.

i've read that the passive bypass of the J-Retro ain't quite like the original.

i paid $599 for my GL, i love it the way it is.

the price makes all that much more attractive.

even through a 100 watt ampeg combo, the GL kicks butt!

f

17. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I have an ASAT that I absolutely love, but when I see that GL Jazz with those black inlays....and hear "Moving Pictures" in my head. Damn I really want one of those

18. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN

Thanks for the link. Now you have me thinking Jazz with an upgrade. I have gone back and forth 500 times now.

Would I need to upgrade the PUPs on the Geddy along with adding the J-retro?

19. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.

nope, that's the supposed beauty of the J-Retro. you keep yer old pups.

i've read that the cavity on the Geddy Lee may not be deep enough for the J-Retro. if only by a C-Hair.

let us know what you decide!

f