1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Me Decide:Highway1PBass or Geddy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VERS, Nov 2, 2006.

1. VERS

VERS

Oct 13, 2006
    With Christmas coming up and some saved up money I am thinking about getting a Highway 1 Precision, but also a Geddy Lee Jazz and I can't decide between the two. The reason is because I love the deep, round, fat sound of the P, but the Geddy Lee neck is too hard for me to pass up, especially since I have very small hands, and it seems like an AMAZING deal for a bass. The highway1 is definetly about the most expensive I can get here.

Does anyone have any pics of their Highway1 P or J? I'm thinking I want a sunburst with a black PG or the crimson body with tortoise PG.

What are your opinions? Thanks alot.

2. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    wel the new hw1s are real bad!!! the hw1 p bass i played the other day was so sweet. i thought i would love the neck on the geddy, but...i like the geddy, but i tend to like chunky necks now(i play a thumb)

3. VERS

VERS

Oct 13, 2006
    bad as in... good? ^

4. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I think that's what he meant. Personally, I would go with the Geddy Lee. I don't own either of these basses, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but from playing them both, the Geddy just feels like a classier, higher-quality instrument.

5. GogolInferno

GogolInferno

Jul 28, 2006
    fender has made a few basses with the p and j pickup configurations and they have a jazz necks. i dont know if its as slim as the geddy, but its still slimmer than the p neck.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You also may want to look into a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub P/J with the jazz neck.

7. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    bad as in AWESOME, super, totally rad. get it. i loved the bass. i did say it was sweet.

8. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Big +1.

9. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    If you're comfortable playing the GL go for it. I have big hands and wish I had a P bass instead...the Geddy neck is to thin for my taste.

10. I don't care for the binding on the geddy and the maple fretboard. I thought the highway 1 was pretty sweet. But the ultimate question for you is... do you want a Precision or a Jazz now?

11. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    You could get the Geddy Lee annd have the series/parallel modification done to it. In series, it would sound more like a P-Bass.
    Or, you could get the Highway P-Bass and learn to handle the neck. (Practice, practice, practice!) That would be my suggestion, I think.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    No such animal. The Skyline Glaub doesn't have a P/J option, but the Jazz neck is available on the Duck Dunn variant. I e-mailed Dan Lakin a couple of years ago suggesting the P/J option on the Skyline Glaub, and he said they had no plans for one.

In the past couple of weeks, I've tried both the Geddy and the Hwy One P. I'd tried a few Geddys before, and wasn't impressed, but this was awesome. I was very impressed with the acoustic resonance and build quality Since you have smaller hands, and the J is generally regarded as more versatile anyway, I'd go that route and have the series/parallel switch installed as someone else suggested. The Hwy One P is very good, but I'm pretty spoiled by my MIA P with a Lindy Fralin pickup, so I wasn't crazy about it.

But if you want a P pickup and J neck, Fender's Reggie Hamilton Standard is excellent. It has U.S. P/J pickups and active/passive electronics, and sounds great. I've played quite a few Fender P/J basses, and this impressed me the most.

13. i got sausage paws for hands and love the geddy. i had a p but the neck was to chunky for me. you wont be sorry with a geddy.

14. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Haven't played a Geddy sig. Fender in a long time. What I remember, it was a good bass. My local Fender rep. just got in several of the newer Highway 1s (Badass bridge, nitrocellulose lacquer finish, 70s style headstock) and I was REALLY impressed with them! Great bass, MIA all for under a grand! That's my vote; Highway One bass.

As always YMMV so get to a Fender dealer and try one (and a Lee sig. if possible) for yourself.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Its easy to boil down...

If you must have a Geddy Neck then
    pick a Geddy
    else
    pick an H1
    end if

Yes, it is that simple. IMO. YMMV. LOL. ROFLMAO...