help me decide...( Lull )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Nov 24, 2004.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    originally, i ordered this Lull 5 with a white pickguard and chrome control plate kind of a la Quilted Geddy Lee 5. Now it is near ready and I have the option to go without a guard and plate and just have the control knobs- i cannot make up my mind... what would you do? modern or traditional?
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    How about going with a control plate and no pickguard?
  3. I'd do the pickguard and all the other stuff.
  4. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I think that the pickguard and the other stuff will make that wonderful quilted top really stick out. Give us an update when you get it.
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    control plate cover, jaco style :) , would look killer
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    With such a pretty top, I would go without the control plate or the pickguard. Safe that stuff for a standard single color or sunburst.
  7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I don't find that top to be too much of a stunning quilt, no offense, but you know how sometimes you get those quilted maple tops that just jump out and smack you in the face?! So personally I would go PG & control plate or just control plate. It's possible the PG my contrast the quilt and bring it out. You don't see too many quilt tops with a PG and plate, go for it!
  8. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I like traditional. I even like a pickup guard/cover (although not an ashtray). Nino's building me a 5A quilt. I went w/2 PGs, one of them clear so the whole top could show.

Like the quilt. Is the finish black or charcoal? What color hardware are you doing?
  9. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    How about a transparent sparkly pickguard that extends down to the knobs? That would look uber cool with the black trans :)
  10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    My taste says that the quilted top doesn't go well with the pickguard on a J-Bass. Especially with this example - that body is stunning. This is a strictly an "eye of the beholder" thing and isn't a dis on fellas who own and love axes with the guard and the quilt. I like the guard on a bass with a solid, non-fancy top or finish as it recalls the vintage vibe and authenticity.

One option not yet explored here yet is a clear pickguard, or at least a half-pickguard like what you see on few Sadowskys as an option - see Will Lee's 'burst quilt top on Letterman. I need half-guard so the distance between the bottom of the G string and the top surface of the body retains the same distance as that of a bass with the guard. Otherwise, the gap is too much and trips up my slapping technique. Of course, the clear material allows for a view of the quilt underneath. This is as nit-picky as it gets in my experience and only applies to thumbing, but is a must for my playing.

All this might not even matter with a Lull. For example, in my personal adventures, the Lakland 55-94 or 55-02 doesn't need the pickguard "lift" because the space is cool for me already.
  11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I think that the pickguard and control plate would look out of place on that quilt top. You paid for the quilt, why cover it up?

Dan K.
  12. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Oh my, that is nice!

It's funny, I feel a similar quandary when fantasizing about which Sadoswky Metro I want, the black standard (w/o guard) or the vintage (with). So, I feel your pain! :D

In this case though, if it were me I would leave that quilted top exposed. As others have said, quilted tops look funny to me with a pickguard, and it's a shame to cover it up. So my vote is for nothin' but the knobs! :cool:
  13. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I say forget the pickguard and control plate, that wood is gorgeous and so's the finish, let it shine!
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  15. dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    "Now it is near ready and I have the option to go without a guard and plate and just have the control knobs- i cannot make up my mind... what would you do? modern or traditional?"

Rear route and go nekkid
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree... don't cover the pretty quilt!
  17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO, no guard or plate, but maybe go with chrome knobs. Shweeeet.
  18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Show every inch of your beautiful wood!

Err, wait a minute... ;)
  19. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Very well said "20db".

A Clear half guard would be cool if a guy just has to have a guard. No control plate ;)
  20. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Would look sweet with that top.