1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide my birthday present!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassnyc1, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Hi,

Today's my 40th birthday. Being another bassist that has a bass understanding wife, I was told that she'll buy me whichever pickups I want for my Fender Jazz (CIJ-70's re issue, natural with a maple fretboard and pearl block inlays)

I want the Geddy sound ( or close to it) Lots of midrange and growl but deep bass when I need it.

I'm considering Fralins, Nordstands or Fender 60's custom shop pickups.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I hate EMG's

2. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    i've got the very same bass, what are you looking for in terms of difference of tone? i ask b/c that'll certainly help with the decision making process. FWIW the Fender 60's are not going to sound like the Geddy Lee, as they're going to be much more mellow. That being said, I'd consider the DiMarzio UltraJazz pickups....

peace

3. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    For my Birthday this year, I had neck surgery. While a 3 month vacation/recovery might be a temptation, this has not been my favorite Birthday present. Choose something else if you can.

Happy Brithday. 40 is a great age to be. Enjoy.

4. I'm looking for a midrange sound with a bit of growl. I play mostly rock and I've been told I can order Lindy Fralins and request that they be slightly overwound. I've also read the reviews on Harmony Central about the Fender custom shop pickups and people said they nail the classic jazz sound. I've also heard about the dimarzio's so I'm confused. Right now my bass sounds kind of wimpy so I want a more aggressive sound

Thanks in advance for any input!