1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide my Porsche 928S or a Harley

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Apr 16, 2010.

Porsche or Harley

Poll closed Apr 23, 2010.
  1. Porsche

83.3%
  2. Harley

16.7%
  1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    My summer ride is a 1985 928s 5 speed in imaculate condition black on black which I have owned for the past 4 years and have enjoyed every minute with it....on the other hand I love me some 2 wheel crusin' I had a Suzuki Katana 1100 back in the day in my mid 20's..but now that I am older and wiser I want to mellow out a bit...I was thinking of trading the Porsche in for a Harley...mabey not a even trade but something to get me on a hog....good move or keep the Porsche..let me know what you think.

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Definitely the Porsche. You can enjoy driving it even if it's raining. On top of that, a 928S is a rare bird, so there's another reason to keep it, especially if it's in good condition like you say.

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    This is actually a question? The porsche, no question. Something well made, that has some actual quality to it. IMO, the price for a new Harley is about 90% brand name, 10% engineering.

edit: Even if it isn't the best model, I'd still keep the car. I still stand by the "Harleys aren't worth their price tag" stance.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Used Harleys are going so cheap around here right now, I would keep the 928 and just buy a nice used HD. Pm me and I can give you some good leads. What type of HD are you looking for? Where in MN are you?

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    You really don't know much about Porsche's do you? He said 928S not 911. The 928's had a LOT of motor & trans problems.

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Dammit. You're right. I glanced right over the model. I just saw Porsche. Whoops.

7. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    2 wheels trumps 4 for me - but I agree with hdracer. Get a few year old model with no miles on it for cheap and keep the car.

8. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Harley

9. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    both.

10. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    As the owner of 2 Harleys, I say.....keep the Porsche!

11. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    You wanna trade a 5.0L V8 Bilstein equipped german sports car for a bike that doesn't corner for crap and on a good day makes 70bhp?
    ARE YOU NUTS???
    I can relate to getting older and not wanting a 160hp liter sport bike but consider a sport tourer like a Ducati ST4 or a Yamaha FJ 1300 or 1200. This advice may well be worth exactly what you're paying for it but I have a hard time imagining someone used to the performance of that Porsche really being happy with the Massey Ferguson technology at Cadillac prices offered by Harley Davidson.

12. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Exactly. At least trade German engineering for German engineering. If you want a super comfy ride, check out the BMW R1100RT, or any other BMW sport tourer.

13. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Both motorcycles and Porsche are over rated. Split the difference and buy a BMW. :hyper:

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    My Harley Bagger makes 165 hp & 160 pound-foot of torque. Third gear wheelies and will BLOW AWAY any of the bikes you mention. If that isn't enough, how about a 800 hp nitro bike? You don't know squat about Harleys.

15. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    An '86 M5 was the best money I ever spent on a sports car or bike. In some ways comparing the bike to the car is apples and oranges though. The car is more comfortable and corners better but bike is so.........so, immediate and exposed. The consequences of failure adds so much to the thrill.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I can see how you don't want carrots in your poll. Might not be very comfortable to ride, sometimes even painful.

Exception is accepted.

17. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    LOL! I knew that was comin'!
    I also know I there isn't a stock Harley that'll run with a stock Aprilia RSV4 or CBR1000RR or any other 2010 liter sport bike on a road track.....let alone with one that's been re-chipped with exhaust and suspension etc. done. The OP has a car that was bred on the European road circuits and if he wants similar performance from a bike a Harley won't do it. Harleys are a lot bike and a lot of fun and I was just teasing a little but you gotta admit the XR1200 and VR1000 weren't nearly as good as the Italian and Japanese bikes they raced against. HD has never put much into road racing so it's no surprise they don't build good consumer sport (including sport touring) bikes. If you want a cruiser with massive grunt a Harley is it. You want corner exit speed? Ferget it. Too bad we're so far apart....a track day with you on your bagger and me on my old Duc 907 would prove my point.

And dude, an 800hp drag bike????? That has about as much to do with this discussion as a funny car does....I mean, c'mon.

18. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    You can post that from the hospital. :D I sold my Wide Glide a few years back as I was worried about that exposure thrill and recently picked up an older Z3. Not a motorcycle but not a cage either.

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Porsche. That's one of my favorite cars to drive ever.

20. I see you live in Minn.
    How many months per year do you think you could ENJOY riding the Hog ?
    If you lived down here, or somewhere warmer, I would say Harley.
    Due to Minn. I voted Porsche.
    IT has a heater.