Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide...Nick gets a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Peavey Fury 5

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. Yamaha RBX-765

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MTD Kingston 5

19 vote(s)
    86.4%
  4. Sonic Designs 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Well...*storyteller voice on*

It all started one day when Nick pulled out his 8 month old Squier P. Nick started practicing when an all-too-familiar piercing twang, zzzzzzzz hit his ears. He looked at the vibrating open A and watched it bounce of the first fret. He then moved his hand down past the octave and began to play high notes. "Twang, twang, plink," the poor Squier complained. Nick began muttering angrily to himself as he moved to get the allen wrench out of his case to adjust the neck, an all-too-familiar ritual. This time, however, it was different. As he inserted the allen wrench, he realized the nut that adjusts the truss rod was completely separated from the truss rod. He began muttering even more angrily and scowling, then smiled and decided it was time to get a new bass. He had been wanting to move up to a five-string bass anyway.
    *storyteller voice off*

So, there's the background, did you enjoy it?:D Now, I'm in the market for a decent, mid-price ranged 5 string. I want the tonal variation to be very versatile. For the most part I'll use the deep lowend; I also want it with some decent mid and a bit of a twangy high(listen to the offspring-come out swinging and you get the idea). Now, I was thinking about one of these:

MTD Kingston 5(yes, I do like the pickguard)
    Peavey Fury 5
    Yamaha RBX-765(I might have missed a letter somewhere in there...basically the discontinued Yamaha midpriced fiver)
    Or this thing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=906189156

So what do you folks think?

2. kingston, duh!

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Is this even a contest? :D

Kingston, of course! Yamaha makes good stuff really, but I doubt anything can compare to Kingsy in this price range.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    MTD Kingston.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Couldn't comment on any of those choices as I've never touched any of them - 'cos we don't get that kinda choice over here!!!

Don't know what the price range is but did you ever consider a Spector 2000/Q5 or REX2000/Q5??? Not sure how they'll fit your budget though!!

6. i'v tried 3 of them basses, and i'd go for the MTD Kingston (actually i'd go for the MTD Heir) but hey

have fun

*Si*

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Warwick Rockbass. I know, I know.......not on the list! :p

8. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Kingston.

9. I notice the Reverend Rumblefish 5L and Brad Houser are conspicuously absent from the list, too. I believe there's a used 5L listed for under $500 on harmony-central and/or bassgear.com.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Of those listed, I'd say MTD, hands down. I would suggest a few others I like a bit more than the MTD, but don't know what your price range is, and obviously these are ones that you like, so I'd say MTD.

11. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I second Si-Bob's suggestion of the MTD Heir. Its basically a Kingston with a Jazz pickup at the neck position... I've played both a Kingston and an Heir (4's and 5's) and I think the tone versatility of the Heir is more key than the more aggressive sound the Kingston can give due to the MM pickup being closer to the bridge. The Jazz pickup does not sound like most I've played at the neck, it is has more depth and range to it... Definately check the Heir out.

12. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Too late, already got a Kingston 5:)