1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide - Nordstrand NP4s?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jun 18, 2007.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Or something else? I currently have an SPB-3 1/4 pounder loaded SX. I don't think I like what their giving me. They are great at what they do but I'm just not digging it.

I thought I would like the aggressiveness but I am leaning towards wanting a more of a classic P sound.

Would jumping up to Nordstrand NP4s be "polishing a turd" too much for an SX? I have read nothing but great things about them here and I am close to pulling the trigger on a set. The price is going to sting a bit but at least I can sell the 1/4 pounders. Give me a yay or a nay and help me make the choice.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You might consider a change of strings first before shelling out more money. I use the Quarter Pounder in my old P and don't find it too agressive at all. But I use Thomastic flatwound strings and just cut back the high end a bit. I also use a very small amount of foam muting under the strings at the bridge. And I do like that "vintage" P bass sound.

Lots of people swear by the Nordstrands. I haven't tried them myself but I don't doubt they are excellent pickups. I just don't know if the pickups are the root of your problem.

As far as upgrading a cheap bass--I think if it plays well and you like it, why not? If I were to buy a new Fender P I'd upgrade the pickups for sure.

3. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm using DR sunbeams right now with the tone knob rolled back about 1/4 turn, and a lot of treble cut on my amp. I have a set of Daddario Chromes flats to put on the SX, just haven't yet. I will try that first to see what kind of sound I can get.

4. Mad Tango

Mad Tango Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Pearland, Tx.
    You may want to try a new set of strings that has a vintage sound. If you don't care for flatwounds, a set of Fender (Superbass I think) strings sound vintage, and they are roundwound. However; if you are ready for new pups, here is some info. I have the NP4, Fender 62 RI, stock, and tried out my friend's SD Anti II for a while. Here is some feedback. All of these pups sound good. However; there are some diffs. The stock Fender pup was not quite as loud on the outer E & G strings, but still ok. The 62' RI sound vintage w/ just a tad of rawness that sounds good. The SD II has just a slight more bass than 62 RI and is a little more clearer sounding. The NP4 is very clear/smooth sounding and has a very full, but controled low end. It has a bit more output than the others. The NP4 may be too clear for some, but where I agree with other users is the fact that it sits very nice in the mix in a live situation. My wife said she could here the notes the last time I played in church. Find other peps opinoins as well- good luck.

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Sunbeams are really bright in the upper mids, which could make a P sound honky.

Try some flats.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021