Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide on a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by melvin, Aug 25, 2001.

1. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Well its almost time for a new bass amp, I just need to decide on what cab. The head Im getting is a Harke 4000. The cab Ive been thinking about is a Carvin 2x10.

Im gonna be playing a lot of different styles but Ill manely be using it for my punk/primus/rhcp band and the schools jazz band so I want something thats portable.

Im willing to pay up to around $500.

Any suggestions?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Get the 4x10"
    I believe that 2x10" would be too small for some gigs.

3. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I think the 4x10 is 8 ohms so wouldnt it only run 220 watts with the head?

4. 8 ohms is good you can add another cab to it.

I really dont like 4 ohm 2x10's you are so limited for building (unless you run it at 2 ohms which I also dont like)

I have been debating a cab myself for 12 months now. I was going to get a 4 ohm 210 but I realized if I save more (patience) I will be happier with a 410. and in the future I can comfortably add another cab.

Just think ahead what do you plan on using it for?
    what do you really want in the end? are you going to have an extra cab laying around after you get what you really want? or will it work great to leave it in your jam room?

I just have a terriable case of "rush out- buy now sell later- lose money- get what I really wanted and regret buying the thing in the first place"

but I am also very strange :) have fun :)

5. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah after reading that last post I noticed I too want to rush out and buy it now and the rest of that thing. Why? Because I want to use it for jazz band and dont want to have to buy another cab to get 400w.

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    check out acme cabs. i forgot the web site - could somebody post it here?

7. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Acme cabs are very power-hungry, and might want more watts than the 4000 can supply. A really cool cab you could try is the eden D-212 XLT. It's rated at 400 watts rms (a perfect match for the ha4000) at 4 or 8 ohms, has 2 12'' speakers and a horn, weighs 74 lbs, and is friggin' loud. This one sounds deeper than most 210 cabs, and is available in a 4-ohm version.

8. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Thanks for the last 2 suggestions, Ill look into both. I really like how that Eden sounds so Ill find a price for it.