1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide on a fingerboard...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by photoshopgeek, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I can't decide on a fingerboard. I had originally decided on ebony, because I want a super bright tone and I think the black would look good with my color scheme.

I still like it, but it's kind of expensive. I would be willing to pay it, but I would be paying more for my fingerboard than the rest of my wood all together...

I really like the look of cocobolo, but I'm not sure if it would match my scheme.

BTW, I'm using all black hardware.

So what do you think?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    0be43bfe3c5dc731e5bebaf9da329bb82g. 2794db7ab11c208ee63fc9e7a90c0cdf2g.

2. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    good stuff. I would either go with Hard Maple or Pau Ferro

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Ebony Ebony Ebony!!! While you still can. It's getting expensive because there is not much of it left. Jet Black African Gaboon Ebony is the best.

4. I don't really want to use maple, cause I want contrast.

Pau Ferro may be an option though. Anybody have good pics of some?

5. What about bloodwood?

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
  7. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    With black hardware Id go with ebony or pau ferro or any dark colored wood.

8. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    My vote goes toward your suggestions, Cocobolo and Ebony.

9. I guess ebony would probably be the best bet...

Anybody know where I can get a piece cheaper than 40 or 50... prob not, right? :meh:

And I'm kind of wary to order one from stewmac as they don't even let you know what kind of ebony it is and what grade...

10. jonno1707

jonno1707

Apr 1, 2006
    Nanuet N.Y.
    Use some sweet birdseye maple than lay some Ebony black stain on it..WALA..Bright sound and color contrast!
    Be sure to put a few coats of clear on top..

11. Dude! That would look amazing! You got a pic of that? Never even thought of using something like that.

12. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    If you are going to go that route, I'd get the birdseye from Larry at Gallery Hardwoods, and have him acrylize it for you... he can add the tint right in, which means no finishing, dying, etc. It actually impregnates the color into the wood.

13. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    +1. If you want to see what it looks like just photo shop it.:bag:

14. comet909

comet909

Feb 18, 2007
    Ebony. Nothing beats a smooth black board.

15. lol Guess I could... :rolleyes:

16. cocobolo!

17. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I saw this bass in Bass player Magazine a couple of years ago. I thought the board was ebony until I read that it's BIRDSEYE MAPE with Ebony stain. Looks great :cool:

Gallery-Bass3.

18. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    That looks like it's an amazing instrument. I wondered if maple could be stained that dark, now I know. Will a stain like that need to be periodically re-applied?

I love the look of ebony, but I wouldn't purchase or commission a new ebony fingerboard; I'd be concerned that it might have come from a "poached" tree.

19. I think this picture has pushed me towards the maple. Wow... that is a sweet bass... Love that spalt!

Do you think Larry could radius and slot it for me? Those two things are the only things I was going to have done as I don't want to screw it up. Kind of an irreversible error. If I get ebony from lmii, they could do it for me. That might just decide it for me...