Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide on a good beginner amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingNothing, Sep 29, 2004.

1. KingNothing

KingNothing

Sep 29, 2004
    I'm looking to get into playing the bass with some friends of mine -- mostly rock music. I've pretty much decided on an Ibanez GSR200 after reading the forums for the past couple days, but I can't seem to find much info about good amps. I'm looking to spend no more than about $200 on the amp.

Are Ibanez amps good?

Something like this for example?

2. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    If all your friends play acoustic guitars, a $200 amp will be great. If one of your friends plays drums, you are in trouble. When most people come here looking for a $200 amp, they are looking for a practice amp for their bedroom. If you are starting a band, which I encourage you to do right away, you need more volume to match the drummer. Do not think that you need to be "good enough" to start a band or to play with other people. Do it.

Anyway, I recommend you look at the Gallien Kruger 400/210 combo amp. You may need to have something of that power and quality of sound for you to be really happy. If you can't stretch to that level amp, maybe someone could post another, cheaper amp that would work with a drummer in a band practice situation.

Look here

3. KingNothing

KingNothing

Sep 29, 2004
    Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread, I went out of town then totally forgot about it.

Anyways, right now my roommates both play electric guitars, so we were thinking that if I get a bass and we find a drummer we could start up a small band to get better and get used to playing with people.

I want to get a combo amp and speaker, which is what both of them have as well. We obviously wouldn't be able to play in a venue or anything any time soon, so we aren't too worried about having the best amps and speakers or whatever, we just want to screw around and jam right now.

4. Dude, check it out.

To play with a drummer (acoustic drums, obviously) the recommended minimum is 15 inch speakers with 100 watts.

Another rule is twice the wattage of the guitars.

So... check bassnw. They have some 2x10 speaker combo and a couple 15 speaker combos for $300-$400 (I think).

I've heard of people using a 1x12 with about 60 watts, but they say no one can hear them but themself.

Also, more speakers = more volume. With a 1x15 you might even need them to turn down. That's help a ton.

Really, the loudest a small 8 inch or 10 inch speaker can go is playing with pretty soft electric drums.

I hope that helps!

5. This size of the speaker will only determine the frequencies produced, not the power output.

6. Alright... I'm wrong.... 8x10 won't be louder than a 1x15. Trust you...

7. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    thats crap, the size of th speaker will obviously lead to more sound because there is a greater surface area for the sound waves to resonate in. 8x10 has a speaker surface of 785"sq whereas a 1x15 only has a surface area of 176"sq so obviously a 8x10 produces more sound than a 1x15. Da LadY In Red i know your post was sarcastic towards drumming puggy i just decided to use your example for my example to prove drumming puggy wrong.

8. Okay I guess I am wrong.

How can you compare 8 speakers to only 1 speaker?

Of course 8 will be louder than 1.

When I made that comment I was reffering to one speaker to another one.

Not 1 against 8!

9. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Actually, 628 sq"..... :bag:

10. Here is how I look at it (disclaimer: I am by no means a pro/expert).
    The amount of sound you get from a cabinet is greatly determined by the amount of air said cabinet moves. several smaller speakers move more air than one big speaker, but the tone, or quality of sound, differs between the two.
    Also, when playing with amped guitars a "safe" way to go is to get a bass amp that pretty much doubles the wattage of the guitar amp. Bass frequencies need more "push" because it is basically a bigger sound wave than that of a guitar. So if you are playing with a guitarist that has a 50 watt amp, I would suggest a bass amp that has about 100 watts.
    Just my 2 pennies on this, forgive me if I am way off.

11. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    Well, I lucked into a bass playing job about 8 months ago so I was in the same spot you are in with no rig. I made an extensive study. Like another good reply you got, there is nothing in that price range. People are going to jump on me for this, but the Behringer Bx3000 is an amp head which you can get on ebay for 200. Then get a Hartke 2.5xl cabinet which has 2 tens and a high freq. driver. Some day down the road you can get another cab, like a 4x10 or a 15 or s omething like that. The 2.5xl on zzounds was 300 when I bought it with 14.50 shipping. I know I am 300 over your limit, but there really is no way out, unless you and your band will be playing very soft little jazz gigs or something.

You can get lucky buying used or in pawn shops, but I have never found any deals. If anything decent comes up on ebay it usually goes so high that it is 70% of retail.

Best regards,

12. KingNothing

KingNothing

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, it's obviously going to be a while before I can go out and do any gigs or whatever with a band, so for right now I'm really just looking for something that I can practice with in my room and also be able to jam with my friends. Right now it's just two guitarists and myself; no drummer. Once we're all better we'll proably look into getting a drummer, but for right now it's just the three of us.

I don't even know if I'm going to like playing the bass three months from now, which is part of the reason I don't want to spend more than $200. I'm also a college student so by nature I don't have that much cash to toss around anyway.

Obviously all practice amps aren't the same, and the music store here has a very small selection for me to test out, so I just wanted to get some advice on a practice amp that would work well for mostly rock and alternative music that fits my budget.

13. Arghh!!! My reply got trashed. Here's what it said, more or less.

The Ibanez will rock, but for $80 more, you can get a Fender Rumble 100, or a ton of used 1x15, 100 watt or more combos from bassnw.com

That's the route I'd take. It's better to spend money on your amp than your bass, because a bad bass through a decent amp will sound decent, but a decent bass through a bad amp will sound bad.

14. KingNothing

KingNothing

Sep 29, 2004
    Is there anything particularly bad about Ampeg or Peavey amps? I'm looking at an Ampeg BA115 right now, used, or a Peavey Basic 112.

I know the Ampeg is probably a good bit better, but if the price gets too high I'm going to have to back off of that one.

15. I'd prefer a 1x15, though I just played in jazz band at school, and a Roland 1x12 with a tweeter cut it fine, though there weren't any loud guitarists...

Did you check bassnw.com? Are those options both near you? Try to talk down to your price or as close as possible. If needed, save for a month or two and then move out. Maybe look for a cheaper bass? A bad bass into a good amp will sound better than a good bass into a bad amp.