1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide on a neck!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom0Blam0, Nov 20, 2018.

What kind of neck?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2018.
  1. Bubinga w/ Ebony FB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Padouk w/ Ebony FB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bloodwood w/ Ebony FB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (feel free to explain below)

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    Here's the scoop - When I was starting out playing bass I had major GAS for a 62 reissue jazz bass in LBP, much like this baby here:
    nbuucvmm2cf9jxtadmyh.

Now that I'm an adult, I can finally turn my dreams into reality. I'm really into putting basses/guitars together so rather than buy a full reissue, its even more fun to build my own version of the LBP to my preferences. I found a good deal on a Warmoth (alder) body, had a hipshot KA bridge that I was going to use for another project. I've always wanted to try a stacked knob config and decided to go with DiMarzio DP123 pups (I had them in an old MIM jazz and really liked them; plus, I REALLY liked the price). You can see the loaded body in the attached files. I'm pretty stoked!

Now I'm at a critical point in the build. The neck. I need some help deciding what direction to go here. I'm really curious about exotic wood necks, as I've really liked some of the higher end Warrick and Ibanez basses I've played, but I'd like to hear other's thoughts on what wood would (lol) be a good fit. I'm looking for a brighter/punchier sound. I'd like to leave the neck unfinished (but could be persuaded) and I will most likely use an ebony fretboard, but again i'm open to other ideas. I will likely not use block inlays and may forgo inlays altogether. Here's what I've heard so far:

Padouk/Padauk: I've read the Padouk is like maple which is great, but I've also heard that the color (which i love) fades over time to more of a brown (which I don't love). Not that that is a huge deal but I think pairing an orange/redish color wood with the blue body would look awesome, so I'm motivated to have something that will retain that color. However, I've also heard it isn't excessively heavy which is a huge plus. The alder body is already quite heavy, so if I add a heavy neck I'm going to be really doing a number on my back!

Bubinga: I've heard a lot of good things about bubinga. It's got a good color (I think the orange color would match the body nicely), really sturdy, and a nice feel unfinished (I think I want to leave this neck unfinished). The main concern I have is the weight, as I have heard the necks are quite heavy (though, I will likely not play this bass out in public, it'd still be fun to play the heck out of it at home). I have also heard it is not as bright as other woods for the neck shaft but, tbh I'm not sure how much that will really matter.

Bloodwood: Seems like a halfway between bubinga and padouk in some respects (though obviously not perfectly) I really like the color and have read it feels great to play unfinished. Ihave also read that, while not as bad as Padouk, it does change color a bit over time/with oxidation/UV exposure (though this will likely be an "at home" bass). I have also read it can be pretty heavy. I've also heard it either stinks or smells good, so there's that?

Other recommendations/ideas are welcome and appreciated. I love the look of the rosewood/maple bound and blocked, but I have another jazz with the same style neck and I want a little variety. I was initially thinking of just finding a geddy neck (black and maple) but I don't think it would look as good (I don't like maple on LPB as much); plus I can do the slim taper on a warmoth neck anyway. I'll probably use ultralites to keep the weight down.

Note: Yes I have used the search function. Information has been somewhat inconsistent and would not reflect opinions on aesthetics with this body/build in particular. I'm really just looking for other folks' thoughts on the qualities/benefits of more exotic neck woods and aesthetics with this particular body. I know that much of the feel of the neck will come down to my personal preferences. Weight will also probably vary a bit. It's just a good chunk of change to drop on a neck I'll never play before buying so I want to try to be as informed as possible.

Attached Files:

2. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    1st vote in!

I voted Other. Go with roasted maple - you can leave it unfinished and it will have more of the appearance of an aged neck which I think will totally complement the LPB. You could also have it shot with nitro for the vintage sheen.

3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    countdown to "neck guy" meme: In 3.....2.....1.....

Tom0Blam0 likes this.
  4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I vote Roasted Maple also. I just got a Rosted Maple/Ebony unlined Fretless from Warmoth. I am totally blown away by both material quality, craftsmanship, and the tone I get from this neck!

EFB74B7D-AC03-4E4B-96CE-D13EA7B2D395.

1DAAB5CA-042B-41EF-9B65-AF751A5D01E0.

D1F9ECBE-B2ED-4D7A-A71B-643ADA55137D.

5. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I also voted other. All rosewood would look awesome.

bdgotoh likes this.
  6. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    after thinking about it, the roasted maple is pretty appealing. I had no idea it could remain unfinished

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    It also has this mapley-sweet, roasty-toasty aroma to it...mmmmmmmm.

8. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    Just an update, went with roasted maple and, to my surprise, a Pau ferro board, no inlays, slim taper profile. This was a showcase neck and I really liked the color and grain pattern on the board. Darker than other Pau ferro boards I've seen. A nice, rich brown that I think will go nicely with the lpb body. I'll post pics as soon as I get it

bdgotoh likes this.