Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me decide on a new amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i've decided to keep my mesa RR cabs instead of getting an entire Eden rig BUT i do still want to get rid of my Mesa M2000 and try something new. im really not that knowledgeable when it comes to amps (just plug in and go) so i would appreciate any help. i want something that can deliver at least 350 or 400 watts to each of my cabs (both 8 ohms). i want something punchy and thick sounding. i've found 2 things i might like to try out but i would appreciate lots of suggestions so i can find what i need :)

Eden WT800: my first choice but im worried that Eden and Mesa mixed wont sound so good....anyone try it? i've only tried this with Eden cabs so i have no idea how they would compare.

Alembic F1X and some poweramp: the poweramp stuff always confuses me. which poweramp should i be looking at based on my needs? any other Pre's i should look at?

i'll probably end up buying used so keep that in mind...

thanks in advance

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I love my GK 1001RB-II.......

3. Traynor YBA200's are awesome and ALL-TUBE. Eh, eh, eh?

4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    only 200 watts...need more...

5. 200 ALL-TUBE watts would compare to about 400-500 solid state watts.

6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yeah but wouldnt that only be 100 tube watts per cab?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm ... you're on the right track here.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I think you should check out a power amp. I love my Eden rig, but I don't know how it sounds matched with some Mesa cabs. Eden and Mesa both make top notch gear, so I doubt it would sound "bad".

What are your "try before you buy" options? Any local shops with the gear you are looking at?

I am a fan of the Crown power amps, so check out the XLS, or XS series.

-Mike

9. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    the only stuff i can try out around here is peavey, ampeg and swr....none of which really appeal to me. if i take the hike to boston i can probably try out more but i dont see any time to do that in the near future.

power/pre setups always have seemed appealing to me but im worried about the reliability. i hear stewarts are nice but i hear they tend to flip out....i also want to try to keep whatever im getting around 30 pounds.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    From my personal experience, QSC and Crown will give you zero liability problems. Others may tell you different. I have owned a beat up old Crown amp, and a brand new one. Each one came on, and performed flawlessly every time in my bass rig. Same with the one QSC I owned briefly. With QSC, you can't beat the "local" tech support here at TB. :)

I'm from the opposite corner of the USA, so I don't know the logistics, but I think a road trip to Boston may be worth it in the end. Especially on the Eden/Mesa configuration. If you go power/pre, you can probably get away without having to try it first, although I wouldn't.

30 pounds for power/pre and rack? Better look to the PLX series from QSC then. Even then, you'll be pushing it.

-Mike

11. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yeah that's why i originally asked about Stewarts. They are small and lightweight and gives lots of power....just what i need....but i remember reading that they can go nuts when they are bridged or something? i am not quite sure what that means...

i would be using this poweramp with 2 8 ohm cabs...would that be pushing it in anyway?

again sorry for the newbish ?'s...amps arent my bag.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd say that you are probably going to be the most happy with a preamp/power amp setup. I would also recommend the QSC PLX series. I have a PLX 3002 teamed up with my Eden Navigator, and it is a formidable combination.

If you wanted to go the head route, an iAMP 800 would get you 400w into each 8 ohm cab. A Walter Woods Ultra High Power would get you 600w into each.

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Definitely the WT-800 would be a good choice. Quite a different amp than the Mesa you currently have. Much more of a hi-fi sound. I'm also considering getting a WT-800. I owned one for a few months but wasn't playing out much then so I unloaded it before I really had a chance to see what it was capable of in a live gig.
    I'd stay away from the F1-X. I've tried 2 and wound up selling both. Great solo sound but hard to EQ so it cuts through a live mix (really lacks mids). I'd go with a Demeter or Aguilar pre instead. My choice would be the Demeter HBP-1 because it has more EQ options.
    For a power amp I'd go with QSC PLX series. I've owned 2 Stewarts and although I've had zero problems (bridged and stereo) I have had them power down when we momentarily lost power (120V) in the building(s). It takes apporx. 25-45 seconds to power back up due to time delay circuitry in the amp. That's a long time to go without bass in a song!
    Good luck!