1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Me Decide On A New Fretless.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boy_Narf, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Hello Everyone!

So I had my eye stuck on a Tony Franklin Fretless for a few years now. I've decided (and received permissions heh) that 2018 is the year I get a new bass.

I've been playing a fretless A4 for quite a few years now and it feels amazing. I have had issues with the semi acoustic body as I'm getting into heavier music with more dirt, so a solid body is a requirement.

Initially I wanted unlined which left me with very few options. I was about to order the TF this week but found a Mex Standard Jazz fretless on the floor and gave it a rip. Wow! Great neck! All I had to compare it to was the Squire precision fretless, and an american pro fretted P bass. I checked the specs on my A4 and it looks to have a 1.5" nut just like the jazz, which is probably why it felt more comfortable. The P bass just felt huge, and the string spacing really threw me off. I'm curious if anyone has done a comparison between the TF and the AmStd Fretless Jazz? I think I'm leaning towards the Jazz as it's much more comfortable but I then discovered they come with a rosewood fingerboard. I was planning to use flats anyway, I'm just worried about the longevity of it.

Also how are the pickups output wise? Are they capable of a decent growl, or more catered to a smooth sound? I know the TF can get pretty nasty, just don't have any experience at all with the Jazz line.

Thanks everyone :)