1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help me decide on a new head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Ethanator, Apr 19, 2009.

1. i currently run an acoustic b200h into a g-k goldline 410 cab (400 watts at 4 oms). looking back, the only reason i really got it was because of money (or lack thereof), and the backline 600 head i tried sounded like crap. so now im considering buying a new, better head around the $400/$500 range, new OR used. something with a little more power (but still under 400w), and plenty of eq adjustment. something with 2 speaker outputs would be a plus, in case i decide to mix things up and get 2 8-ohm cabs later down the road. heres what im looking at, and why i am considering them. any other suggestions are welcome as well:

ampeg b2r-
    ampeg heads generally have pretty good reviews from what ive seen, and the 9-band eq looks attractive

markbass little mark 250-
    ive loved the tone of every markbass amp ive ever played through, be it a combo or stack, and at that price...

tech 21 landmark 300-
    i played through one once a while ago, and the 2-channel switching comes in handy. ive used sansamps numerous times for various styles, and it uses the same tube emulation circuitry that sansamps use

eden wtx-260-
    i giged through one of these playing for my church once, and the tone it spat out impressed me

nemesis na-320-
    never used one of these before, but ive read some good stuff about them. the parametric eq has a full sweep rather than just a mid sweep, so i can experiment a little more

if anyone has any expirience with any of these heads, or a reason to get/not get one, let me know! thanks!

2. anyone?

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    A used G-K 700rb, or rb-II would be way better than any of those, IMO - and can easily be found within the low end of your price range...

- georgestrings

4. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    agreed

5. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Markbass and nemesis are very nice heads, but also consider used 800rb, and a whole bunch of other used good priced heads (350x, 6.0, etc...)

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    And here we go.

8. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    I would get the Eden for tone.

9. yeah, i forgot to mention the carvin. i was looking at a bx500 a while ago. but... how would having more watts than my cab can handle be better than having too few? can someone explain this?

10. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    I used a B2R for a few years, and it was good, but not much more than that. The EQ features were nice and everything, but I found that it lacked a certain "oomph". I'm not sure of the style you'll be playing, but I will say that the head was VERY reliable, never had any problems with it in about 5 years, and the price isn't too bad for what you get.

I'd just play as many of them as you can, and take it from there.
    Just my $.02
    Jeremy

11. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    What?

12. i play mostly thrash metal, but i do alot of experimental/stoner/drone kind of stuff as well. slap, tap, and other crap

13. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    yeah, what?

14. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Used GK 400, 700, 800s, and 1001s are probably the best bang for the buck. Great tone, smaller than most non-digital amps, still relatively light, and very powerful.

You don't blow speakers with too few watts, but you do have a tendency to clip too small of an amp, which is what will blow speakers. More watts is always a good idea, but too many watts into too small of a speaker has obvious issues too. Much can be avoided just listening to what the speaker is trying to tell you...

15. Viper027

Viper027

Mar 28, 2008
    Pataskala
    Are you looking to upgrade for more power or getting a better head? You listed the 4x10 being 4 ohms, but it's only a 8 ohm cabinet. (unless you rewired it) So you are only getting around 100 watts out of the head you have. So if its power add another cab to get full power from your head. If its power and a tone issue than maybe a used Gk head, like other suggested.

16. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    if you're sticking to the thrash...i'm pretty sure the b2r will deliver, but if you start getting into the stoner/drone stuff where you're tuned pretty low, i'm not so sure it'll do what you're looking for.

17. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    you want to have twice as much power in your head as you cabinet can handle while that is unrealistic for weight reasons you want to have something close...when you run you gain at say 9 oclock and you master at half volume and you have a 400 watt head, technically you are running a 1/4 of the gain amount so 100 wts, and then have of that so 50 wts...i know that sounds strange but causes you to way under power your cabs...your speakers within the cab want to move a certain distance and it takes a certain amount of time to travel that distance, if you under power the speakers the speakers themselves don't move the required distance and within that distance have many more revolutions (not really the right word, but what i am getting at is that they move that distance more than they would if they were moving the full distance they are designed to do). By moving fast and not as far...this actually causes the speakers to burn themselves out, also they train themselves to that movement, so when you decide you do want to upgrade power on your head...their is a potential that you will blow them out faster...overpowering=blowout, underpowering=burnout....

18. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    ignore spelling in that last reply...i was typing fast

19. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I vote GK 400 or 700rb.

20. the 210 and 115 cabs are 8 ohm, the 410 is a 4 ohm cab