Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide on a new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brohar, Jun 30, 2005.

1. GK 700RB-II, GK 4x10RBX

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Genz Benz GBE600, Avatar Neo 4x10

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Sansamp RBI, QSC 850, Avatar 4x10

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  1. brohar

brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Out of these above which should I go pull the trigger on? I have heard a lot of good things about all of these setups and havent been able to test them all out. I play rock, funk, and metal and if you had to classify the sound i am going for listen to P-Nut's tone from 311. I really like the Genz Benz system but its a bit pricey (is it worth it?). Let me know if you have any swaps or or suggestions. Im trying to keep this under $1300 BTW. Thanks!

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Go try the stuff out.

Moeller Music stocks Genz-Benz gear, the local Guitar Center should have a GK head in as well as a Sansamp you can try out (plug it into the "FX Return" on the GK amp).

All the gear is available locally to try out (except Avatar), don't post a poll and let others decide for you when you can help it.

3. brohar

brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Ive tried out the GK rig and a Genz Benz GBE400 but not the others. I will try out some of the others but the reason I posted a poll is to get the opinion of other professionals. Just testing an amp out at the store helps but there other factors that come in to play like:
    How are you supposed judge the sound if you cant test the cab with it?
    Also are you really going to be able to perfectly EQ an amp to your prefrences in several minutes in a noisey music store. Sometimes it takes days to figure out the head and get that perfect sound.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hmmm, I didn't vote because I prefer Avatar's 2x12 over the 4x10. The 2x12 is avail in Neo in small quanities and will be avail in greater quantities soon. Of the heads, it's a toss up better the SanAmp choice and the Genz, but I'd also check out the Kustom Groove Bass 1200 if I were you. I shopped MANY heads and rigs before settling on the GB1200. I think that it will surprise you and it costs less than the above heads aside from the GK which is about the same money but has nowhere near the power of the Kustom...

5. brohar

brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I do like that the Kustom comes with the foot switch and has all that extra power. Ill put that on the list too. I actually was looking for a 2x12 Neo from Avatar and didnt see it on their site. Ill have to see if I can get one.

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Testing out an amp with several cabinets will get you the idea of the character of the amp, especially if you know the cabinets.

Perfect EQ is always flat. :spit: No, honestly, an amp should be judged on how it is flat and when EQ'd to your liking. And EQ'd in your room or in the store isn't EQ'd in your band anyway, so it's not even fair to get "that perfect sound," in your bedroom either.

What did you like and not like about what you heard, since you tried the stuff out?

PS on the Avatar 2x12 Neo - Dave has a limited supply of the 12" Neo speakers and is shipping them out to the people on the waiting list first. E-Mail him and see what he can do for you.

7. brohar

brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Point taken on testing with a flat eq.

I liked the GKs punchy and crisp sound, plus it was damn loud. The Genz had a really nice smooth punch but felt like it was missing something but I was playing through a 15 and it was the GBE400 not 600.

Ill check with Dave about the 12s.

Thanks for the info.

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Sounds like you liked the GK. Good, solid gear, hard to go wrong with if it's your thing (sounds like maybe it is). GK is more tweakable than most amps and is user-friendly, and adjustments can be made quickly without much thought.

With the Genz, the 600 offers a tube pre section in addition to the FET and allows you to blend the two together for your own sound. The tube channel adds tube warmth, which you may or may not use much.

Both of these heads are great choices and it's hard to go wrong with either one, you'll just have to decide which one you like better.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

The Kustom also comes with a 8 or 10 foot (can't remember which) Neutrik Speakon cable too which would probably go for at least $50 on it's own. I paid $40 for a second cable that was shorter and of lesser quality (Monster believe it or not). The Kustom is such a killer deal!