1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide on a setup please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpaceYourBass, Mar 12, 2009.

1. SpaceYourBass

SpaceYourBass

Aug 28, 2007
    **if you don't feel like reading the whole thing then just help me out with the basses I mention or short scales in general. I used the searched but want personalized help, hence the long post**

I'll be getting a new bass and amp in a few months for my birthday. Had to sell my fretless VMJ and 180 watt Behringer Ultrabass to pay for a lawyer (long story but I ended up correctly found not guilty, screw crooked cops).

I recently discovered that piccolo bass on a short-scale is the S**T. I like being able to jam with bassists and guitarists while providing a unique sound that most bands don't have. Its cool how you can lick it like rhythm guitar (playin lotsa reggae mon), play basslines, and play solos like crazy. If I ever need to play regular bass, I can just play my ABG.

So I have about a $1000 limit. I'm putting in $400 of hard-earned money...I really need to make a good investment on a bass and amp that will last me a long time. I'm a college kid with a good girl who I like to take out, and I don't have a lotta cash to spend on bass. Please help me out with any kind of suggestions (if you don't know much about piccolo strings that's fine, just pretend I didn't say anything about 'em & help a player out however you can).

So for a bass, I'm thinking about getting one of these (all short-scale):
    -SX SJB-62 ($109). Played a non-short scale and it felt like butter.
    -Fender Mustang - a used old school ($650 at GC) or a new one online (around $840). I could have played the old-school all day but I'm not an axe hog.
    -Dean EVO XM ($200). I've never actually played one, but humbuckers are a big +++ in my book.
    -Danelectro Dano 63 ($300). Haven't played one of these either, but they look cool.
    -Ibanez Artcore AGB200 ($500). LOVE the looks and the brown color. Never played this either but its also got humbuckers.
    -***Ibanez Mikro***($170). This is the bass that's my #1 as of right now. I like how its even smaller scale than 30 inchers (28.6"), which should be great b/c I like piccolo strings & like to "lick it". Piccolo strings are basically halfway between bass and guitar strings. I like how one pup is a jazz and one is a precision. I've heard some talk about problems with the Mikro staying in tune. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem for me since I'd use short-scale piccolo strings.

I haven't played a lot of these basses so please give me some help! Sorry for the long post, but every time I ask a really quick question my thread gets bumped to the bottom quick...man I remember when this site wasn't so busy (Had a different handle back then)...props to the site owner and bassists who've made TalkBass what it is today. I figure I'd explain myself some more this time to make the point that I need ANY help/suggestions I can get, as long as its about short scale. Semi hollow bodies aren't really my thing b/c I haven't played many of them, so I could use some help in that area.

I'm going to use the money that I don't spend on the bass to get an amp (workin with $1000 total). Obviously if I get an SX or a Mikro, I can get a really sweet amp. If I spend all my dough on the bass, I won't be able to get a good amp until a LONG time later.

------------------
    Quick question: What's the difference between the SX SJB-62 and SX SJB-57?

Thank you for any help!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Get the Mustang and worship Shiina Ringo like we all do.

3. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I say since your budget it fairly substantial, go with the fender if only for it's resale value if you ever choose to move on.
    While some of the other choices may suite you, they wont be worth much if your current interests wain and you find yourself no longer liking short scale.
    Especially the SX and the Dano.
    However, you did say this was a budget for both the bass and the amp? Hmmm, I'd go with your number one then...Since it's only $170, which leaves you quite a bit of cash to play with.
    It wont be worth as much as something like the fender but at $170, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

4. SpaceYourBass

SpaceYourBass

Aug 28, 2007
    I definitely want a short-scale. I almost got out of bass completely because it was putting too much strain on my left hand, to the point where I could tell it was really unhealthy (besides just being painful and not being able to play for a long amount of time). This was after a couple years of playing and being used to 34" scale. I like playing long jam sessions but don't like premature arthritis, feel me? Then I tried a short scale and realize that I was meant to play one of those. I can play one pain-free all day, and I'm much better on a short scale in general.

Yea the budget is for both a bass and an amp. I had to sell both so I wouldn't be in the legal crapper. It really is a tough decision on going with a Mustang or a Mikro/another cheaper bass. Like I said - if I get the Mustang, I'll be waiting a long time before I can afford a nice amp. And most of the cats I jam with have really nice amps, so I can't be drowned-out. On the other hand, I don't wanna be "stuck" with a cheap bass that I don't like. Right now, I don't think I would get sick of a Mikro or SX, mainly because I'd be playing piccolo. I'm thinking that a cheaper bass would be fine if I had a sweet a$$ amp (as long as the bass is comfortable). I also have the option of getting a more mid-range priced bass and amp OR getting the Mustang and waiting for a nice amp (might be worth the wait)...all reasons I need help from knowledgable/experienced TB'ers.

thanks for replies so far!