Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide on my new rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Oct 22, 2004.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay,
    Here's the deal. I've got my SWR Bigfoot and my Aggie GS115 up for sale, and also my AI Contra. I'm keeping the GS210, and I'm gonna buy an Acme B-1 for small gigs/rehearsals/upright bass gigs. I'm thinking I want the Schroeder 21012 for my big rig, I will probably use only that cab. I currently have an Aguilar DB359, which I love the tube sound, and if I keep the tubes cool it is reliable, but she fails (the smart card trips) when it gets crazy hot. I'll need a new lightweight head for upright/electric for small gigs and rehearsals with the B-1, and occasionally the louder gig. I'm thinking AG500 or AI Focus. How do you think the AG500 would sound for upright/jazz gigs? I know it's great for electric. Would I be better off with the Focus for upright? Most important, if I keep the DB359, which I love the tubeyness, will it be powerful enough for the Schroeder 21012 for big gigs, or must I sell it for a DB750? Not sure I want to lose my tube-vibe, and she works for both the GS210 and GS115, plenty loud, but the Schroeder sucks up more power, and so does the B-1. If I did go with the DB750, it can go to 2 ohms for new combinations, but that would make me lose my tubey goodness...... Help me! Anyone want any of that gear I mentioned? Ahh!!! GAS!!! PS--My new Linc Luthier is almost done!!!! Woohoo!!!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not at all! My 1210 sounded loud and strong with a 60 watt (maybe 100) Sunn Sceptre (has one pair of 6550) and also with 200 watts of a SS Ashdown. Yes more is better... but I think 2 pair of 6550 would push a 21012 fine.

not having played any of what you have/want... I'd look to demo a Focus. They seem to be the tone king for small, light and electric/acoustic able.

3. MO...get the DB750 - that's a loud mother!