Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me decide on my next car.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Aug 20, 2005.

1. In a couple weeks or so, I' going to be getting a loan for 5 grand, and I am looking to get a used car.

At the moment, my taurus isn't really cutting my needs for a sporty vehicle. And also that its nearly falling to pieces. So here is what I am going to be looking for, and you can help me find the best car for my needs.

At the moment, I need something that has moderately high performance and handling, but still will do at least 20mpg.

At the moment my choices seem to be either an Audi(quattro)90, VW GTI(VR6), Porsche 944(85/2'), an early 90's(the older body shape) Mustang GT, and maybe like a 3000GT or possibly some other type of cah'.

This also needs to seat me(I'm 6'7" so legroom is an issue), its gotta be a stick, should have enough room for a bass, a head, and a 2x10 cab somewhere, enough room for a rather large sub box(back seat isn't for passangers in this car so keep that in mind). Also looking into moding it slightly, and fairly easy maintenance. The Audi and Porsche need super premium, but I don't think the GTI does, and I know the Stang doesn't.

But basically, looking for something sporty, roomy(enough), something I can easily mod and get the most out of the money.

2. dude your asking for alot. just get a fast pickup. or a fast car and a crappy truck the carrry your gear in

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    All that for 5 grand? You better be good with a wrench....

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Corvette. Seriously, you can fit everything you listed in one. Great sound systems from factory, so you can remove the apssenger seat and put your 2x10 there, head and bass in the back, and go to gigs. Very sporty cars also. Only hard part will be finding one for $5000!
    Second reccomendation is a Camaro SS (or Z28)/Firebird Trans Am (or Formula). Both fit your needs perfectly, and are pretty dang fast vehicles :D. Easily had for $5000 too.

-Ray

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A used truck.

7. The 5,000 is the initial investment, I plan on bringing whatever up to speed, and I'm only buying used so the market is better in my favor.

And trucks are not an option.

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Give me $5k and here yugo.......

[​IMG]

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Why do you need a sporty vehicle?

10. To have fun driving.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Actually, if you can find a 24 valve DOHC taurus, those things are pretty good. But for around 5 g's, you have quite a few options. I would stay away from most turbo cars, unless you want to pay quite a bit for repairs. A mustang is not good for trunk room. I'd say a midsize car is what you are looking for, but I am not sure what kind of cars you have for options.

12. With the Audi and the Porsche, you should also figure in the higher maintenance cost that comes with these vehicles. (parts and labor) The Porsche is definitely a great car but not if you have a budget in mind, you will probably have to visit the dealer more often on these cars for parts or repair than the Ford or Mitsubishi. At least call you insurance company first. The Audi will be slightly more economic in this regard.

The mustang with a 5.0 motor and 3000GT with a 220hp V6 will carry your gear but will be a little tougher on gas. The weight of a 3000GT is something like 3800 lbs. You should be able to get either one with 5 g's though. You would have to drive them both to find out which you would like, they are two totally different cars. I'm sure the 3000GT will far out handle the Mustang but if you like the power of a V8 the Mustang is a good choice. The Mustangs will have mod's galore for both performance and interior. The 3000GT has a lot in common with the Dodge Stealth so I'm sure there is a lot available for it as well.

I have never been a VW fan so I can not comment.

When it come to picking a car, get the one you like the most. If you are more into the euro style, my choice would be the Audi, The Stang vs. 3000Gt you will have to test drive.

Not exactly true. I had an older Mustang Hatch back (80's), With the rear seats down I had no problem putting in a Mesa Boogie 2X15 cab in the back.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Mitsu's can be expensive to fix as well, due to some of the import problems with the parts. If you are looking to put stereo stuff and still have trunk space, the stang is not good. The 3000GT will also be kinda crappy in that respect. They do handle, and they are quick, but space is not what they were built for.

As for an ok car with good mileage, my Saturn is great. It is great for longevity, as I have 185K miles on it, and it is still going strong. It's the DOHC model, and it has no upgrades, but it moves plenty quick for me. I know it sounds like a cheapo car, but they are worth a look. They are relatively inexpensive to maintain, and the gas mileage is the best part, especially with prices heading where they are.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yep. I am a truck guy. I prefer full size Fords, but the late 80's to early 90's Mazda B series 4x4's are nice trucks.

-Mike

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    VW Corrado VR6. Might be a stretch to find one for $5k but I've seen 1 or 2 around here in that range. They would fit the bill pretty well though: decent power (VR6 motor isn't super high output but has good tourque low in the power band), excellent handling (one of the best handling FWD cars ever made actually) and supposedly get excellent milage.

Not the easiest cars to fix though. While reliable there were not many of them built, so parts now are fiarly pricey. Still probably cheaper on maintinence than the Audi or Porsche would be.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My sporty gear car is a 1987 GMC Caballero (El Camino) It's quick, V8 powered, cost me $4000 and carries all the gear I need. URB, full GK stack, 6 space rack, three basses and a drummer with room to spare.

As long as it doesn't rain.

17. Take a look at the older body style Chevy Monte Carlos (Late 90's). I know they arent nearly as quick as a Mustang, but they can be had with a 200 HP 3.8 liter V-6, so the arent nearly as sluggish as a Taurus. These are also very reliable, get at least as good gas milage as your Taurus, and can hold quite a bit of stuff.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

You stole my signuture reply:(

Communist Thief:(

Fine i'll say one better...

El Camino!!!!

[​IMG]

19. Well, except for the "stick" issue, a used infinity Q45 seems to fit you well. Easily had for $5000, 278 HP in a 4.5 liter V8, and a full size car for those over 6 feet. Probably more reliable than the others mentioned, as well.

Mike

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I was also going to recommend a Monte or a two door Grand Prix (with the supercharged 3800) but Bryan wants a stick, and I don't thing GM offered either with one.